Netscape Wrapper .. java applets don't run

Netscape Wrapper .. java applets don't run

Post by David Ma » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I got the netscape-wrapper rpm to fix Netscape's
constant crashes. Works really well except Java
applets do not run. Is this a side effect  of the
fix or can I have the fix AND my applets (i hope).
I tried moving the java_301 file according to the
README but it didn't help.. The Netscape retrieves
the applet and displays the applet running message
but nothing happens.

davud

Post by Steve Adle » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> I got the netscape-wrapper rpm to fix Netscape's
> constant crashes. Works really well except Java
> applets do not run. Is this a side effect  of the
> fix or can I have the fix AND my applets (i hope).
> I tried moving the java_301 file according to the
> README but it didn't help.. The Netscape retrieves
> the applet and displays the applet running message
> but nothing happens.

> davud

You should try blowing away everything you've done to install
netscape and try installing the netscape-wrapper-bnl rpm
file again. The latest version in at

ftp://ftp.phy.bnl.gov/pub/linux/redhat/bnl-RPMS-i386/

1. Java applets don't show up in Netscape.

I have a problem with Netscape.  I have Netscape 3.01 and followed the
instructions at www.blackdown.org/java-linux and got gnumalloc and set
up a script like they said.  In addition, my java_301 file is in
usr/local/java (can't remember; I used the first location that was
specified in the readme).  When I view a page with java applets (like
www.javasoft.com), I don't get a segfault or bus error, I just don't see
anything.  Where the applet is supposed to be is blank.  I read every
linux newsgroup there is and have even searched them but all that keeps
on turning up is how java crashes Netscape.  And before it's suggested,
yes, I've enabled java and javascript in Netscape.
        I'll be indebted to your for any help provided.  FWIW, I've got
Slackware 3.1 kernel 2.0.25.  I've got 32MB RAM and a 32MB swap
partition, so I know I've got free memory (nothing else running in
FVWM-95-2).  I've also got the jdk-1.0.2 but I don't think that's
involved in this at all.  If there are any files that you need to see,
ask and I'll get it ASAP.  Thanks.

--
Azunna Anyanwu '00
Computer Science Concentrator / Pre-med

"To err is human but to really foul things up requires a computer."

2. Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry

3. Arrow Keys don't work in Java Applet on Netscape on SunOS

4. internet in linux (via network)

5. Java applets don't work in Netscape on RH 6.0

6. how do i setup a news server

7. Help: Netscape, Java, and not able to run applets.

8. sed & awk

9. How can I run Java applets in netscape ?

10. Netscape Bus Error when running java applets sometimes

11. Netscape Communicator 4.05 is not running java applets

12. Netscape 3.01 running Java applet cores

13. RedHat 6 and Netscape fix for Java for things like yahoo Java chat applet