Help, I'm at my wits end over PPP

Post by Ken Withero » Sun, 07 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hello again,

> Thank you to everyone who has helped so far, alas I still can't get ppp to
> work and I'm really lost as to what to try next. I just wnat to surf with
> linux, thats all. I've tried using kppp, I set things up with netcfg but then
> kppp still wouldn't work, I tried pppd but that didn't work either...

> So I tried eznet. I made sure ttyS3 was linked to /dev/modem

> I downloaded the binary and copied it to /usr/bin and did a chmod 04755 as
> the read me instructed. I entered the info and then tried eznet tir up, it
> just sits there I tried multiple times and it just sits there and doesn't
> come back with anything.

> Am I doomed to surf with only windoze, I really don't understand why its not
> working! Please help if you can!

Go into minicom and try to dial your ISP. If your modem doesn't respond,
that may be your problem (is it a win modem?) /usr/doc/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO
gives a pretty good step through

Help, I'm at my wits end over PPP

Post by Tommy Willoughb » Sun, 07 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello again,
> Thank you to everyone who has helped so far, alas I still can't get ppp to
> work and I'm really lost as to what to try next. I just wnat to surf with
> linux, thats all. I've tried using kppp, I set things up with netcfg but
> kppp still wouldn't work, I tried pppd but that didn't work either...

In kppp, are you using script-based logon, pap, or chap? And, while
we're at it, do you know what your ISP uses?

Post by Daniel Podgursk » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hello again,

> Thank you to everyone who has helped so far, alas I still can't get ppp to
> work and I'm really lost as to what to try next. I just wnat to surf with
> linux, thats all. I've tried using kppp, I set things up with netcfg but then
> kppp still wouldn't work, I tried pppd but that didn't work either...

> So I tried eznet. I made sure ttyS3 was linked to /dev/modem

> I downloaded the binary and copied it to /usr/bin and did a chmod 04755 as
> the read me instructed. I entered the info and then tried eznet tir up, it
> just sits there I tried multiple times and it just sits there and doesn't
> come back with anything.

> Am I doomed to surf with only windoze, I really don't understand why its not
> working! Please help if you can!

1. look for help pages for your ISP.  Mine had the perfect pppd setup
already written down in the help pages.  I found this AFTER I connected
with xisp.  Calling customer support might help, but mine was clueless
about it even though it was right there in the webpages.

2.  Failing that...try xisp.  It worked from the first time I used it.

Help, I'm at my wits end over PPP

Post by Ferry van Stee » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I'm using slackware and have a same sort of problem.... My ppp-go doesn't
work however.... starting minicom, using atdt<num> so my modem will call
will work to open the connection. Then I'll see a lot of *(PAP in my
case) and i'll quit with ALT-Q (NO RESET!!!) and start pppd. Might work for
you too....

Post by Norman Elliot » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I'm using slackware and have a same sort of problem.... My ppp-go doesn't
> work however.... starting minicom, using atdt<num> so my modem will call
> will work to open the connection. Then I'll see a lot of *(PAP in my
> case) and i'll quit with ALT-Q (NO RESET!!!) and start pppd. Might work for
> you too....

**********************************
I had problems with ppp and tried many things. Believe me I can't afford
to loose
any more hair.
I got ppp-go working by running pppsetup with the default reset string.
I tried it again but added to the parameter string and THAT broke it

I found out that if you entered anything then the /etc/ppp/pppscript
script it generated was faulty
with default you got a line like

OK "atdt12345678"
if you added to the string you got
atdt12345678
I just put the

OK "       "
back in and it was OK
Another problem was that the line got dropped because I already had a
default route set up to my ethernet card

best wishes
norm

> >> Hello again,

> >> Thank you to everyone who has helped so far, alas I still can't get ppp
> >> work and I'm really lost as to what to try next. I just wnat to surf with
> >> linux, thats all. I've tried using kppp, I set things up with netcfg but
> then
> >> kppp still wouldn't work, I tried pppd but that didn't work either...

> >> So I tried eznet. I made sure ttyS3 was linked to /dev/modem

> >> I downloaded the binary and copied it to /usr/bin and did a chmod 04755
> as
> >> the read me instructed. I entered the info and then tried eznet tir up,
> it
> >> just sits there I tried multiple times and it just sits there and doesn't
> >> come back with anything.

> >> Am I doomed to surf with only windoze, I really don't understand why its
> not
> >> working! Please help if you can!

> >1. look for help pages for your ISP.  Mine had the perfect pppd setup
> >already written down in the help pages.  I found this AFTER I connected
> >with xisp.  Calling customer support might help, but mine was clueless
> >about it even though it was right there in the webpages.

> >2.  Failing that...try xisp.  It worked from the first time I used it.

Help, I'm at my wits end over PPP

Post by Sam Green » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

The best advice I can give is at:

ru.ppp

The article is easy to find.

--
Sam Greene

http://www.veryComputer.com/~slgreene/

> > I'm using slackware and have a same sort of problem.... My ppp-go doesn't
> > work however.... starting minicom, using atdt<num> so my modem will call
> > will work to open the connection. Then I'll see a lot of *(PAP in my
> > case) and i'll quit with ALT-Q (NO RESET!!!) and start pppd. Might work for
> > you too....

> **********************************
> I had problems with ppp and tried many things. Believe me I can't afford
> to loose
> any more hair.
> I got ppp-go working by running pppsetup with the default reset string.
> I tried it again but added to the parameter string and THAT broke it

> I found out that if you entered anything then the /etc/ppp/pppscript
> script it generated was faulty
> with default you got a line like

> OK "atdt12345678"
> if you added to the string you got
> atdt12345678
> I just put the

> OK "       "
> back in and it was OK
> Another problem was that the line got dropped because I already had a
> default route set up to my ethernet card

> best wishes
> norm

> > then

> > as
> > it

> > not

> > >1. look for help pages for your ISP.  Mine had the perfect pppd setup
> > >already written down in the help pages.  I found this AFTER I connected
> > >with xisp.  Calling customer support might help, but mine was clueless
> > >about it even though it was right there in the webpages.

> > >2.  Failing that...try xisp.  It worked from the first time I used it.

Help, I'm at my wits end over PPP

Post by Sam Green » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Perhaps this will make it easier.

--
Sam Greene

http://www.radford.edu/~slgreene/

Help, I'm at my wits end over PPP

Post by netre.. » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,

I couldn't seem to reach this group. I'm having a nightmare with PPP
also. The saga follows.... :)

I've been spending a painful amount of time trying to figure out why
after my chat script has successfully logged into my ISP, then the Modem

disconnects and fails to successfully receive a dynamic IP and
initialise.

Using Redhat 5.2 for Intel.

After taking a look at the /var/log/messages file, I can tell it is
passing the username and password ok and that it is displaying

'Serial Connection Initialised.' after making it to the 'PPP initalised'

string.

and then something like this appears

ppp0 <--> /dev/modem

and then the modem hangs up and I get a;

Hangup (SIGNUP)

error.

If anyone can tell me why it would successfully log in but then fail I
would be REALLY grateful.
This is turning into somewhat of a nightmare just to get the simplest
thing like a net connection happening.

I've followed all the how-to's and numerous web pages, not to mention
lots of different options/chats script files but no luck, the modem
still dumps itself after passing all the prompts.

My chatscript file looks like this:

TIMEOUT           3
ABORT               '\nNO DIALTONE\r'
ABORT               '\nBUSY\r'
ABORT               '\nNO ANSWER\r'
''                           \rAT
'OK-+++\c-OK'  ATH0
TIMEOUT           30
OK                      AT&F
OK                      ATDT92194444
CONNECT         ''
name:                   andyr
word:                   "\qpassword"

and then my options file look like (from memory)

lock
crtcts
defaultroute
noipdefault
0.0.0.0:0.0.0.0
/dev/modem
57600
mtu 576
mru 576
netmask 255.255.255.0
connect "/usr/bin/chat  -v -f  /etc/ppp/chatscript"
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote

and multiple combinations there-of. :)

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Andy Richards.

Help, I'm at my wits end over PPP

Post by Hoyt » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

This page has been helpful for ppp setup:

http://home.earthlink.net/~webspot/ppp.html

Hoyt

Quote:>Hi there,

>I couldn't seem to reach this group. I'm having a nightmare with PPP
>also. The saga follows.... :)

Help, I'm at my wits end over PPP

Post by Mark » Mon, 22 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Ferry

I've had a few probs setting up ppp. In the end I downloaded ezppp (can't
remember the url but a decent search engine should find it). After installing
this I was on-line in half an hour...
--
Cheers
Mark

Post by geof » Wed, 24 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Perhaps this will make it easier.

> --
> Sam Greene

> http://www.radford.edu/~slgreene/

Possible solutions:
--You mentioned that you get tons of "crap" in minicom?  You know that's
probably the PPP stuff you want to see, with lots of {} signs and stuff
like that.
--When you start pppd, do you use hardware handshaking and set the modem
as the default route so that all IP packets that go from your browser go
to the ppp link and not through any NICs you might have? You should be
able to do this manually: open minicom and dial your isp and do whatever
you have to do to get PPP "crap" showing up (ask your ISP...there are
many different ways PPP servers do this). Then do an Alt-Q, and try to
start pppd with the command:

pppd /dev/modem crtscts defautroute

the crtscts does hardware handshaking which is pretty essential, and the
last command makes sure your IP pakets that are not intended for anyone
on your LAN go to the ISP through your modem. You can also check your
routing table, and should have an entry that shows your ISP as the
gateway, "default" as the destination, 0.0.0.0 as the Genmask (0.0.0.0
is the IP address for "everywhere else"), and ppp0 for the Iface
(Network Interface).

Hope this helps.

-Geoff

Help, I'm at my wits end over PPP

Post by stringspide » Wed, 24 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I've had many problems setting up my PPP connection as well(RedHat 5.2)  But I am
happy to write this message under Linux after (also) using ezppp.  I highly (and
happily) recommend the package.

> Ferry

> I've had a few probs setting up ppp. In the end I downloaded ezppp (can't
> remember the url but a decent search engine should find it). After installing
> this I was on-line in half an hour...
> --
> Cheers
> Mark

> > I'm using slackware and have a same sort of problem.... My ppp-go doesn't
> > work however.... starting minicom, using atdt<num> so my modem will call
> > will work to open the connection. Then I'll see a lot of *(PAP in my
> > case) and i'll quit with ALT-Q (NO RESET!!!) and start pppd. Might work for
> > you too....

> > then

> > as
> > it

> > not

> > >1. look for help pages for your ISP.  Mine had the perfect pppd setup
> > >already written down in the help pages.  I found this AFTER I connected
> > >with xisp.  Calling customer support might help, but mine was clueless
> > >about it even though it was right there in the webpages.

> > >2.  Failing that...try xisp.  It worked from the first time I used it.

Help, I'm at my wits end over PPP

Post by Tobin Melto » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

do a tail of /var/log/messages and see if it is making ppp0 your default
router. i had problems with  this till i solved the routing problem....

>I've had many problems setting up my PPP connection as well(RedHat 5.2)
But I am
>happy to write this message under Linux after (also) using ezppp.  I highly
(and
>happily) recommend the package.

>> Ferry

>> I've had a few probs setting up ppp. In the end I downloaded ezppp (can't
>> remember the url but a decent search engine should find it). After
installing
>> this I was on-line in half an hour...
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Mark

>> > I'm using slackware and have a same sort of problem.... My ppp-go
doesn't
>> > work however.... starting minicom, using atdt<num> so my modem will
call
>> > will work to open the connection. Then I'll see a lot of *(PAP in
my
>> > case) and i'll quit with ALT-Q (NO RESET!!!) and start pppd. Might work
for
>> > you too....

>> > Daniel Podgurski heeft geschreven in bericht

>> > then
either...

>> > as
>> > it

>> > not

1. PPP configuration problem - (I'm at my wit's end)

Hello,  I'm brand new to the Linux world.  I've read every related
document that came with my distribution and still can't figure out
what's wrong.

I installed Linux and X11 from a new Infomagic distribution.
Everything went very smoothly and configuration was a breeze, except
for a strange problem with PPP.

Using dip, I connect to my ppp server via 14400 modem, send my
username, password, and issue a ppp and end with 'mode PPP'.  All of
the IPs are dynamic (that is the IP assinged to my machine and the IP
of the machine I'm connected to) This works fine - I can telnet,
finger, ftp, ping, etc.  When I use ifconfig and route to look at the
current network status everything looks OK - my IP and the P-t-P IP
look OK.

HOWEVER, I can't get Netscape 2.02 working correctly.  If I give it a
host name it gets the IP and says "Connect:  Host conntacted, waiting
for reply" or something to that effect, but I never get any reply -
its like Netscape can find the host but the host can't send anything
back.

Is this a routing problem?  How do I configure it so that programs
other than telnet, ftp, etc. can work.

I've never done any network configuration so I'm not really sure how
to fix this problem.

jeff lee.

2. Linux & Compuserve

3. Please help BSD newbie at wits' end

4. Shutdown failes in redhat 4.0

5. HELP!!!!! I'm at my wits end!

6. No pppd startup in R5

7. FPC Setup "Free Pascal Compiler, I am at wit's end"

8. barcode printer

9. ?: how is the loopback created; at wit's end

10. NIS problems (at wit's end)

11. At wit's end with RealTek 8139c

12. Unstable ODT3 server... At wit's end

13. At wit's end...