root login from telnet session (RH6.0)

Post by Nelson Cheun » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I am using Red Hat 6.0
How can I allow root login from telnet session?

I know there is a file called /etc/securetty but what should I put in?
I forgot exactly what I put in /etc/securetty in RH5.2 but at least it
worked. Now RH6.0 I really have no idea what is the "keyword"

Thanks for any help.

Nelson

root login from telnet session (RH6.0)

Post by John » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

NOT advisable, but if you must...  Try putting ttyp0 after the tty1 - ttyx
in the /etc/securetty file.  You need to add as many ttypx's as you want
connections available to login as root.

Comment:  If you must log in as root, use ssh instead of Telnet.  Easy to
do and and there is a good free ssh client for windblows called
putty.exe.  It took me about 30 minutes to get sshd running and telnetd
shut off.  Search the net for putty.exe and save yourself some possible
grief down the road <G>

You'll need to get ssh and sshd from one of the ftp sites, or if you wish,
let me know and I'll make the RPM's available on my ftp site for you.

Now I am comfortable to login as root using 3DES as an encryption method.

--
Please remove *NOSPAM* for Email reply...

root login from telnet session (RH6.0)

Post by Corey Kovac » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Generally it is not a good idea to allow root to telnet in, instead you
should telnet in as a user, the su - to activate root....

Corey

> I am using Red Hat 6.0
> How can I allow root login from telnet session?

> I know there is a file called /etc/securetty but what should I put in?
> I forgot exactly what I put in /etc/securetty in RH5.2 but at least it
> worked. Now RH6.0 I really have no idea what is the "keyword"

> Thanks for any help.

> Nelson

1. how login as root in telnet session

I made a dialin telnet session from W95 to my linux box.
Everything works fine, except the Linux box won't
allow me to log in as root when telnetting to it.

/var/log/secure reports :

cpu1 login: FAILED LOGIN 1 FROM 172.116.0.25 FOR mybox,
Authentication failure

What should I modify to be able to ?

Erik

2. Where can I get SB Live Value Drivers

3. Login as root with telnet session

4. fp 2000 and server extensions

5. login to telnet session as root?

6. Who can help?

7. GCC 2.6.3 and Linux 1.2.3

8. root login denied over telnet in RH6.0

9. Root login through telnet/rlogin on RH6.1?

10. [Fwd: Root login through telnet/rlogin on RH6.1?]

11. rh6 rlogin or telnet session appears to be hung after password prompt

12. automatic login by telnet session