24X CD-Rom upgrade dont work

Post by gato » Sun, 05 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I just upgraded my 6X CD-ROM to a 24X.  Now when I try to mount the CD I
get a message stating "mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device".  The
new CD is an IDE/ATAPI drive and I am using Redhat 5.  I have even tried
reinstalling everything.  This is weird, because I can boot to DOS and
install straight from the Redhat CD.  After installing and booting to Linux
I get the above error.  What is the deal?

24X CD-Rom upgrade dont work

Post by gato » Sun, 05 Apr 1998 04:00:00

The drive is a Acer 24x.  The drive I took out was also an Acer 6x.  That
was the only change I made and now I cant access the CD.  They are both
jumpered as Master on the second IDE channel with a LS-120 drive as a
slave.

24X CD-Rom upgrade dont work

Post by Tom ONei » Sun, 05 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I just upgraded my 6X CD-ROM to a 24X.  Now when I try to mount the CD I
> get a message stating "mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device".  The
> new CD is an IDE/ATAPI drive and I am using Redhat 5.  I have even tried
> reinstalling everything.  This is weird, because I can boot to DOS and
> install straight from the Redhat CD.  After installing and booting to Linux
> I get the above error.  What is the deal?

I don't know what happened to it the first time, but I found when I
installed RH 4.1  it didn't create the link to /dev/cdrom from th actual
device.
 I have a scsi cd and found it at /dev/scd0, created a link to
/dev/cdrom and life is good.  ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom
Look in dmesg for the actual device name.
I just posted this the other day, since it cost me an hour to find it...
                tom
--

   HP-UX1# restarting braind....
   HP-UX1# /usr/lib/intelligence not found. core dumped.

24X CD-Rom upgrade dont work

Post by sber.. » Mon, 06 Apr 1998 05:00:00

Quote:> I just upgraded my 6X CD-ROM to a 24X.  Now when I try to mount the CD I
> get a message stating "mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device".

Watch the boot up messages and see if it is detected.  I have several 24x
CD-ROM drives at work and Linux does not auto detect them.  I had to add
append="hdc=cdrom" to lilo.conf to force the CD-ROM to be recognized.
After that, everything worked well.

Scott J. Bertin

1. Help: ATAPI Pionner 24x CD-ROM not working

Hi there.

I've been running Linux (Kernel 2.0.0) on my system since last 10 months
without problems. Recently I bought a CD-ROM drive (ATAPI Pionner 24x) and I
can't get it to work. The Kernel has the ISO9660 and ATAPI support built-in,
but I can't get to mount the device.

At boot up Linux finds the CD-ROM but then when I try to mount it I get an
"IRQ error" message. I've read the HOWTOs but I don't find the solution. I've
tried the CD-ROM both as master on the secondary IDE or as slave on the
primary, but always the same error, which gets the system to a crash.

The drive is ok. It works without problems under DOS.

If someone can help me I would apreciate it. Thanks.

Carlos.

2. edquota on freebsd-alpha box

3. Upgrading to SCSI CD-ROM from IDE CD-ROM

4. libc 5.3.12 for Linux: math functions and dl_malloc

5. WARNING PIONEER CD-ROM 24X !!

6. Font utilities?

7. Linux and 24x panasonic CD-ROM.

8. Commercial Linux device drivers

9. Solaris 2.6 x86, Dell Dimension XPS D300, UltraDMA, and Toshiba 24x CD-ROM

10. TORiSAN 24x CD-ROM + Linux

11. 24X CD-ROM Support for Linux

12. Linux and Acer 24x IDE CD-ROM

13. 12/24x IDE CD-ROM drives for Solaris-x86 2.6?