Bad blocks and fsck?

Post by Brian Bergstra » Tue, 05 May 1998 04:00:00

Does fsck for ext2 map out badblocks, and try to recover any data
in the bad blocks? I was getting I/O errors, and ran fsck, but it
reported no errors. But I kept getting them, so I backed up
and reformatted with the  -c option. Just as I thought, there
were two bad blocks in the partition.

So am I missing something, or does fsck not catch bad blocks.
And if not, is there anyway to map out bad blocks, and try
to recover data without reformatting?

TIA,
Brian

1. Finding out if there are bad blocks in the bad blocks list

Hi

I'm trying to find out whether there are any bad blocks in the ext2fs
bad block list. I think there might be, because I had a whole lot of
ext2fs error messages popping up during a compile, and when I removed
the directory I was working with and ran e2fsck -cf /dev/hdc6, it told
me the filesystem was modified, even though none of the regular checks
had failed (I'd previously run e2fsck -f /dev/hdc6, so all the duplicate
blocks and unattached inodes and stuff had been sorted out). I think the
drive might still be under warranty, so if there are bad blocks I'll
take it back.

TIA
Bruce
--
Please remove the ".nospam" from my address before replying
| Bruce Merry (Entropy)            | bmerry at iafrica dot com       |

2. question on serial drivers in linux - assistance appreciated

3. How do you add a bad block to e2fs bad block list?

4. find -prune syntax

5. Bad block in /var,fsck fails.

6. /usr/lib/libvga.config

7. Bad Blocks on IDE drive, fsck doesn't fix it

8. Network Problem??

9. How can I fsck a HD with bad super block

10. Bad block ,restore , fsck ...

11. Bad Disk Blocks with fsck???

12. Bad Blocks at fsck on an ext2

13. fsck won't run-Vol Mgr 2.6-Bad Super Blocks!