Slow linux ppp/fast 95 ppp

Post by Gene Smit » Thu, 25 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Can any tell me why I get considerably slower performance when accessing
www under linux than on 95 (I have a dual boot system).  In netscape I
frequently get "stalled" messages when bringing in web sites and no RD
on my external 33.6K USR modem.

I have obtained stats with ifconfig that indicate  the following:
RX packets: 3747  Errors: 183  Dropped: 183  Overruns: 0
There are no errors for TX packets.

When running 95 I notices much fewer times when RD led is off and the
same web pages come in much faster.

My computer is AMD486-125, 24M.  Any ideas?

-Gene

Slow linux ppp/fast 95 ppp

Post by JH » Thu, 25 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>Can any tell me why I get considerably slower performance when accessing
>www under linux than on 95 (I have a dual boot system).  In netscape I
>frequently get "stalled" messages when bringing in web sites and no RD
>on my external 33.6K USR modem.

>I have obtained stats with ifconfig that indicate  the following:
>RX packets: 3747  Errors: 183  Dropped: 183  Overruns: 0
>There are no errors for TX packets.

>When running 95 I notices much fewer times when RD led is off and the
>same web pages come in much faster.

>My computer is AMD486-125, 24M.  Any ideas?

>-Gene

Hi !
I'm newbie, but could it be caused by your com port ?
I use internal 56 Kbs modem and my connection seems
to be much faster in linux (KDE) than in Win98.
I get as fast as 8.8 Kb/sec download speeds in linux,
in Win98 max 5.5Kb/sec via fast ISP.
Could be just a calculate bug, to have so fast speeds,
don't know, but surffing IS faster in Linux.

Janne Hakala

Slow linux ppp/fast 95 ppp

Post by David Pac » Thu, 25 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Can any tell me why I get considerably slower performance when accessing
> www under linux than on 95 (I have a dual boot system).  In netscape I
> frequently get "stalled" messages when bringing in web sites and no RD
> on my external 33.6K USR modem.

> I have obtained stats with ifconfig that indicate  the following:
> RX packets: 3747  Errors: 183  Dropped: 183  Overruns: 0
> There are no errors for TX packets.

> When running 95 I notices much fewer times when RD led is off and the
> same web pages come in much faster.

> My computer is AMD486-125, 24M.  Any ideas?

> -Gene

Try setting the connection speed down to 57600.
Maybe it is set to 115200.

Also, experiment with the mru and mtu settings.
Mine are at 1500.

Also, maybe the win95 dialer is setting some good AT commands
for the modem that are not the default for your modem.

If you can see these in your win95 dialer, add them to your
linux chat scripts.

These ppp files are all located in /etc/ppp subdir on my system.

--
David Pace  Free Trading software: http://www.daveware.com

Slow linux ppp/fast 95 ppp

Post by Frederick Compto » Mon, 29 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>Can any tell me why I get considerably slower performance when accessing
>www under linux than on 95 (I have a dual boot system).  In netscape I
>frequently get "stalled" messages when bringing in web sites and no RD
>on my external 33.6K USR modem.

>I have obtained stats with ifconfig that indicate  the following:
>RX packets: 3747  Errors: 183  Dropped: 183  Overruns: 0
>There are no errors for TX packets.

Have you tried a different browser in Linux?  you haven't told us what release
of Netscape you are using, but if it is 4.07 (comes with Redhat distribution
5.2, for example) then it isn't surprising.  The problem is more likely to be a
browser than ppp.  I use the KDE, and the inbuilt browser (KFM) is about 10
times quicker than Netscape 4.07, and much quicker than any IE release I have
yet tried, including 5.0, on Windows.

Hope this helps.

Slow linux ppp/fast 95 ppp

Post by Davi » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Can any tell me why I get considerably slower performance when accessing
>www under linux than on 95 (I have a dual boot system).  In netscape I
>frequently get "stalled" messages when bringing in web sites and no RD
>on my external 33.6K USR modem.

>I have obtained stats with ifconfig that indicate  the following:
>RX packets: 3747  Errors: 183  Dropped: 183  Overruns: 0
>There are no errors for TX packets.

>When running 95 I notices much fewer times when RD led is off and the
>same web pages come in much faster.

>My computer is AMD486-125, 24M.  Any ideas?

>-Gene

Hi there,
I have the same problem !!! I'd like to here the answer.

Slow linux ppp/fast 95 ppp

Post by me » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

What modem speed have you told your connection programme to use?  Many
connection programmes default to 9600 bps.  You should use at least
115200 bps.

> >Can any tell me why I get considerably slower performance when accessing
> >www under linux than on 95 (I have a dual boot system).  In netscape I
> >frequently get "stalled" messages when bringing in web sites and no RD
> >on my external 33.6K USR modem.

> >I have obtained stats with ifconfig that indicate  the following:
> >RX packets: 3747  Errors: 183  Dropped: 183  Overruns: 0
> >There are no errors for TX packets.

> >When running 95 I notices much fewer times when RD led is off and the
> >same web pages come in much faster.

> >My computer is AMD486-125, 24M.  Any ideas?

> >-Gene

> Hi there,
> I have the same problem !!! I'd like to here the answer.

Slow linux ppp/fast 95 ppp

Post by Xylopl » Tue, 06 Apr 1999 04:00:00

In the PPP or ISP HOWTO, there is something about using the -hispeed
option with setserial in your dialup config. If you don't set this ,
your modem can't connect at it's maxmmum speed. Sorry I don't have
specifics, I am not in Linux right now, as you can see.

Post by yooden vran » Thu, 08 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> What modem speed have you told your connection programme to use?  Many
> connection programmes default to 9600 bps.  You should use at least
> 115200 bps.

> > >Can any tell me why I get considerably slower performance when accessing
> > >www under linux than on 95 (I have a dual boot system).  In netscape I
> > >frequently get "stalled" messages when bringing in web sites and no RD
> > >on my external 33.6K USR modem.

> > >I have obtained stats with ifconfig that indicate  the following:
> > >RX packets: 3747  Errors: 183  Dropped: 183  Overruns: 0
> > >There are no errors for TX packets.

> > >When running 95 I notices much fewer times when RD led is off and the
> > >same web pages come in much faster.

> > >My computer is AMD486-125, 24M.  Any ideas?

> > >-Gene

> > Hi there,
> > I have the same problem !!! I'd like to here the answer.

And me. I'd like an answer too!

yooden

Slow linux ppp/fast 95 ppp

Post by Michael J Surett » Sun, 11 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I missed the original posting, but when I had similar problems, irqtune fixed
them up.  It puts your modem irq priority to the top of the list and avoids
dropped packets.

> In the PPP or ISP HOWTO, there is something about using the -hispeed
> option with setserial in your dialup config. If you don't set this ,
> your modem can't connect at it's maxmmum speed. Sorry I don't have
> specifics, I am not in Linux right now, as you can see.

> >>Can any tell me why I get considerably slower performance when accessing
> >>www under linux than on 95 (I have a dual boot system).  In netscape I
> >>frequently get "stalled" messages when bringing in web sites and no RD
> >>on my external 33.6K USR modem.

> >>I have obtained stats with ifconfig that indicate  the following:
> >>RX packets: 3747  Errors: 183  Dropped: 183  Overruns: 0
> >>There are no errors for TX packets.

> >>When running 95 I notices much fewer times when RD led is off and the
> >>same web pages come in much faster.

> >>My computer is AMD486-125, 24M.  Any ideas?

> >>-Gene

> >Hi there,
> >I have the same problem !!! I'd like to here the answer.

1. 95 -> linux fast; but linux -> 95 slow!

I have a 95 machine and a linux box (2.0.30) connected at home. I've
replaced the network card in the linux box, and I'm still having the
same results. I've also tried replacing the cable. When I transfer files
from 95 to linux its really fast, but when transferring a file from
linux to 95 it is only 65KBs!

Can ne1 point me to the files I should check? /etc/hosts?
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1?
Did I put in a wrong IP somewhere?

thanks,
Jay

2. Using Shared Memory Under SVR4

3. fast-->slow ppp link; talk to modem while ppp running

4. add config

5. PPP slow. Browsing slow but download fast

6. What Flavor

7. PPP Slow. Browsing slow but download fast.

8. pilot-xfer on Linux

9. Connecting Win 95 PPP to Solaris 2.5 PPP

10. MST PPP for SCO Dialin PPP Server and Windows 95

11. ppp-user v0.95: Users can handle PPP easily

12. MST PPP for SCO and Windows 95 dial in PPP

13. PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and HEADACHE