Gentus installation into multi-OS disk - help please...

Gentus installation into multi-OS disk - help please...

Post by Iain Marshal » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have an 20Gb disk with Win95 installed onto the primary FAT partition,
Win NT4 and a spare logical drive in an extended partition. NT gives me a
menu to boot between Win NT and Win 95. I want to add an option for Linux
to this menu, so I'm trying to install Gentus Linux using the Custom option
so I can install LILO to the linux partition, not the MBR.
When I try to install Gentus Linux 3 on the disk, I get to the stage where
I create the linux partitions, I set the parameters, click the Next button
then the PC ejects the cd and reboots.
If I follow the process through again, the partitions haven't been created
and I'm back to the beginning again.
What do I do to continue the installation process ?

Thanks for any help.

Iain Marshall

Gentus installation into multi-OS disk - help please...

Post by Rod Smi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I have an 20Gb disk with Win95 installed onto the primary FAT partition,
> Win NT4 and a spare logical drive in an extended partition. NT gives me a
> menu to boot between Win NT and Win 95. I want to add an option for Linux
> to this menu,

This is a reasonable way to proceed. There's a HOWTO on the subject, I
believe. I also cover it in my book, _The Multi-Boot Configuration
Handbook_ (http://www.rodsbooks.com/multiboot/).

Quote:> so I'm trying to install Gentus Linux using the Custom option
> so I can install LILO to the linux partition, not the MBR.

Quite honestly, I believe this is the first I've heard of Gentus Linux.
Presumably it's a pretty minor distribution. It's certainly not the
only one that'll let you install LILO on the Linux partition's boot
sector, although some of them are pretty stupid about it and insist on
putting LILO on the MBR. Unfortunately, I don't have a list of which
ones provide which options. I do know that Red Hat lets you put LILO on
either the MBR or the boot partition. I'm pretty sure Debian does, too,
but only if the boot partition is primary (lame, lame, lame) -- but I
believe it lets you put LILO on the extended partition that contains
the boot partition (slightly less lame).

Quote:> When I try to install Gentus Linux 3 on the disk, I get to the stage where
> I create the linux partitions, I set the parameters, click the Next button
> then the PC ejects the cd and reboots.
> If I follow the process through again, the partitions haven't been created
> and I'm back to the beginning again.
> What do I do to continue the installation process ?

I've two suggestions:

1) Create your partitions using some other utility. PartitionMagic
   (http://www.powerquest.com, and a copy of the previous version also
   comes with my book) lets you create Linux partitions directly. You
   could also use some Linux micro-distribution or some other
   distribution's emergency recovery disk to do the job. OTOH, I don't
   know if Gentus would let you use pre-created Linux partitions -- some
   distributions positively insist on creating their own partitions
   (again, lame, lame, lame).
2) Switch to another distribution. My hunch is you're running into a
   Gentus-specific bug, although it's also possible you've got some sort
   of hardware problem or Linux driver problem that wouldn't be fixed by
   switching to another distribution.

If you try one or both of these and can't get around the problem, post
some more information on your disk system -- what motherboard or EIDE
controller you're using (if you've got EIDE disks) or what SCSI host
adapter you're using (if you've got SCSI disks). You might also want to
post the make, model, and size of your hard disk or disks, and the exact
partition layouts (size and type of each partition).

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

1. Multi-OS installation Help ...

Hello there,

I have one question about Installation of FreeBSD and WIN95..

Q1. Do you have to partion  first H/D( win95 disk) into Two partion to
make them less than 1024cyclinder ?

Q 2. Is there anyway to create boot up disk ?

Q 3 How stable is to boot into freebsd  using fbsdboot.exe at /tool dir
without Booteasy ? Is there any special requirement ?

Machine Spec

CPU : Pentium II 266
M/B : Abit Bx6
Manin Memory : 64 M SDRAM not pc100 standard
Hard disk : 1.6G EIDE( LBA mode) + 2.1 EIDE(LBA mode)
cdrom : generic
Video card : D/S 64 Video Vram 4M + Creative Voodoo 2 3D card

At the moment, I have win95 in 1.6G EIDE as a single partion set as
active ..
and Second EIDE harddisk for FreeBSD..

Over weekend, I have installed Freebsd 2.2.6 in second harddisk all went
fine except for forgetting
to disconnect my 3DFx voodoo2 card connector to video card so I was not
able to configure
X win... No problem there I can configure later ..

Anyway, after installation I was sitting there and waiting for reboot.
system came up and said
No active partion blabla ...

OK. So I stuff up installation.. I got rid of MBR using fdisk /MBR at
dos frompt after booting off dos boot up
disk...

And I installed again...How silly I was.. Now I know ...

Same story again at reboot...

This time I used dos version fdisk to set first hard disk as active
partion and reboot...

WHoa I can see Booteasy..

When I choose win 95( F1 dos) it worked fine. I boot into  freebsd (F5
second disk)
and use that to configure what is necessary.  After that I reboot
machine..

Now I saw same message

No active partion ....#4%^(^

Somehow active partion flag has been changed so there is no active
partion at all !!!

Q 4. Could someone tell me what is going on ?
Is this because I did not partioned first H/D into two partions of less
than 1024 cylinder?

2. Bash script to see if PPP link is up...

3. Using Solaris 2.6 x86 for multi-OS installation

4. Shared linking Problems

5. Help needed: Disk Partition Scheme for Multi-boot OS system and Linux

6. IPX/NCP support in 2.0.27

7. Multi-OS Linux and Intel Solaris - Need Help!

8. looking for script/program to make labels

9. Some help/info needed on multi-os system.

10. Help with multi-OS/multiboot

11. Multi-OS setup problem. Help!!

12. Booting LILO with multi-drive, multi partition, Please help!