HELP to get ../linux/.config

Post by Craig Sharp » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi

I'm in the process of installing a 250 MB zip drive but the imm driver
requires a /usr/src/linux/.config
but my Red Hat 5.2 version hasn't installed it onto my system.

So does anyone know where I can get .config or how to make it myself????

thanks cs

HELP to get ../linux/.config

Post by George Georgaki » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

The .config file is automatically created when you recompile the kernel, to
be exact after you finish either:

make config,
make menuconfig, or
make xconfig

Read the kernel HOWTO at
http://amelia.db.erau.edu/ldp/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

George
I never reply by email as a) I don't give out my real email address freely,
and b) it stops other NG users from reading the solutions to problems

(Swap "geegee" and "linuxstart.com").

Quote:> Hi

> I'm in the process of installing a 250 MB zip drive but the imm driver
> requires a /usr/src/linux/.config
> but my Red Hat 5.2 version hasn't installed it onto my system.

> So does anyone know where I can get .config or how to make it myself????

> thanks cs

1. loadlin & Win95 - getting memory error trying to boot linux from config.sys menu

Help ?!?!?!?!
        I have a DELL 486 DX2/66 w/ 16MB of RAM.  I am running Linux
and Windows 95.  I have Win95 installed on /dev/hda1. /dev/hdb1 is an
msdos(windows) partition, /dev/hdb2 is my Linux swap partition, and
/dev/hdb3 is my Linux root parition.
        I am trying to setup a bootup menu using my config.sys file
and Loadlin 1.6 - I have already disabled Win95 from booting in my
msdos.sys file.
        To make a long story short when I choose the option to boot
Linux, I get the following error message:

        "Not enough free memory between 90000h and 9ffffh, may be you
have some zombie programs, try to reboot.  If this doesn't help, try
to find out what driver occupies this space."

        I have tried a few different things to try and get this to
work.  I have basically stripped down my config.sys so that it is not
I have also removed my autoexec.bat.  I have tried loading himem.sys
and emm386.sys in my config.sys before trying to boot Linux.
        One way I can get loadlin to work is if I hit <F8> to get into
the Win95 bootup menu and I choose "step by step confirmation" and
answer "no" to all of the prompts or if I choose "command prompt
only".  What I believe may be the problem is that if I completely
remove my config.sys and autoexec.bat and I go through the above steps
for "step by stpe confirmation, I still get prompted with the
following questions:
                Load doublespace driver(Y/N)
                Process system registry(Y/N)
                Create startup log file (Y/N)
                device=c:\windows\himem.sys (Y/N)
                device=c:\windows\dblbuff.sys (Y/N)
                devicehigh=c:\windows\ifshlp.sys (Y/N)
                devicehigh=c:\windows\setver.exe (Y/N)
        Again, linux will only boot if I answer no to these questions,
but these questions come up even without a config.sys file !?!?!?!?!

        HELP ?!?!?!?!?

2. Routing and IP-masquerading

3. patch 01/38: switches in fs/Config.in, fs/Config.help

4. sendmail/POP - HELP!!

5. REPOST patch 38/38: switches in fs/Config.in, fs/Config.help

6. X-Windows Question?

7. Help need: Sound config and epplet config

8. sed command

9. HELP: fetchmail gets stuck getting mail over PPP

10. How to config to config my linux to make my xDSL modem work

11. HELP HELP HELP! Cannot config MIDI on SB16

12. Getting modem to be accepted by YAST2 config

13. Getting kernel config parameters