trouble in netwoking

Post by Francesco Nerier » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

i've got three pc's connected via HUB, one is the gateway configured with
masquerading (A linux) and two clients (B linux, C linux/win), i don't
know why but all the traffic going from linux/win to gateway and viceversa
is copied and sent to the second linux box. I.e. if i'll visit a web site
with C all the traffic can be viewed by B (with tcpdump for example). No
sniffers in B. the hub light for B does not blink, but the light of the
network adapter of B blinks. any idea?
thanks

francesco

trouble in netwoking

Post by Francesco Nerier » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

sorry i made mistake configuring B as a gateway too.

> i've got three pc's connected via HUB, one is the gateway configured with
> masquerading (A linux) and two clients (B linux, C linux/win), i don't
> know why but all the traffic going from linux/win to gateway and viceversa
> is copied and sent to the second linux box. I.e. if i'll visit a web site
> with C all the traffic can be viewed by B (with tcpdump for example). No
> sniffers in B. the hub light for B does not blink, but the light of the
> network adapter of B blinks. any idea?
> thanks

> francesco

trouble in netwoking

Post by Colin Wats » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>i've got three pc's connected via HUB, one is the gateway configured
>with masquerading (A linux) and two clients (B linux, C linux/win), i
>don't know why but all the traffic going from linux/win to gateway and
>viceversa is copied and sent to the second linux box.

You're using an ordinary "passive" hub, not a switch. Thus, your network
behaves like a single network segment for the purposes of packet
visibility, since it's cheaper to build hardware that just copies
everything everywhere than it is to build hardware that inspects the
address of each packet to work out where to send it.

If for some reason this is a problem, you'll have to buy a switch
instead.

A quick Google search found http://www.dansdata.com/network.htm, which
seems quite good as an introduction to networking.

--

"And finally, the most important part of any GUI, the command-line
 interface." - Branden Robinson, Debian XFree86 maintainer

1. Help- netwoking card configuration

I am trying to install Netgear TX310 ethernet card on my HP pavilion 4458
without progress.
I have downloaded the latest tulip driver, and I can find my ethernet card
information in /proc/pci. It seems there is some problem with configuration.
When I type "ifconfig", I can not see eth0. When I type "ifconfig eth0", I
can see the eth0 settings.
When I type "ifconfig eth0 up", I met the following error message:

SIOCSIFFLAG: Resource temporarily unavailable.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Xiaozhou Qiu

2. help with kerneld

3. Basic Netwoking

4. Host->Network Byte order and the reverse

5. Netwoking Problem

6. Ping loosing a ton of packets

7. Netwoking newbie - Please help

8. KDE or Enlightement

9. Q. netwoking two nics

10. Kernel 2.2.6 netwoking bug?

11. How to set up netwoking printer ?

12. peer to peer netwoking w/ mandrake 6.0

13. More@!!.. Panasonic/SB-CD troubles, trouble, trouble...