L 99 99 99 error while booting

Post by Günther Brunne » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 05:09:26

Hi,

I have a problem with lilo. After updating to suse 8.1 (and obviously
updating lilo and the boot sector), i get an error message. It looks like
"L 99 99 99 99..." (some rows with "99") and occurs while booting. Does
anybody know how to solve my problem?

Thx in advance,
G.B.

L 99 99 99 error while booting

Post by Bob » Tue, 04 Feb 2003 05:49:06

<posted & mailed>

> Hi,

> I have a problem with lilo. After updating to suse 8.1 (and obviously
> updating lilo and the boot sector), i get an error message. It looks like
> "L 99 99 99 99..." (some rows with "99") and occurs while booting. Does
> anybody know how to solve my problem?

> Thx in advance,
> G.B.

This happened to me once.  I solved it by formatting the MBR 3 or 4 times,
as Linux is a bit zealous when writing to disks, and appears to push a
deeper magnetic image onto the disk.  MAKE A BOOT DISK.  Then boot to DOS,
type "fdisk /mbr" (no quotes) several times then boot back into linux using
the boot disk.  As root type /sbin/lilo, and you should have a clean boot.

HTH
--
That which does not hack me off is usually giving me money.

Post by paul lesi » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 06:09:30

> <posted & mailed>

> > Hi,

> > I have a problem with lilo. After updating to suse 8.1 (and obviously
> > updating lilo and the boot sector), i get an error message. It looks like
> > "L 99 99 99 99..." (some rows with "99") and occurs while booting. Does
> > anybody know how to solve my problem?

> > Thx in advance,
> > G.B.
> This happened to me once.  I solved it by formatting the MBR 3 or 4 times,
> as Linux is a bit zealous when writing to disks, and appears to push a
> deeper magnetic image onto the disk.  MAKE A BOOT DISK.  Then boot to DOS,
> type "fdisk /mbr" (no quotes) several times then boot back into linux using
> the boot disk.  As root type /sbin/lilo, and you should have a clean boot.

> HTH

I just had a similar problem, setting up a machine built out of spare
parts. What I did to solve the problem was edit /etc/lilo.conf and
find the line that said "lba32" and remark it out (put a # in front of
it) then add a line below it saying "linear". Re-run lilo to write to
the MBR. It may yell at you about linear mode being depricated, but
hey, it might work, so give it a shot. Good luck!

1. : if setup 0.99.14 kernel, then 0.99.13 kernel boots?!

I'm running a Slackware distribution (not 1.1.1) It came with 0.99.13 kernel
and all was okay. I wanted to 'upgrade' to the new 0.99.14 kernel so I down-
loaded the file from ftp.cdrom.com and thought all would be easy. Next I
did setup and installed the new kernel. I fixed my lilo bootup file and the
old kernel image was placed in /tmp. I reboot...and I get 0.99.13 kernel
booting up. I'm confused! How can I fix this and why does it do this?
Thanks

2. Peculiar problem in Solaris

3. Installed mandrake 9.0, now I'm greeted with "99 99 99 99"... please help!

4. ESS 1868 - Help!

5. Ftape 0.9.9d, Kernel 0.99.15, Modutils 0.99.15 Help.

6. simiple question

7. Solaris 7 version: 3/99 or 5/99

8. Problem with xterm and trn

9. Bug (?) booting 0.99.9

10. Booting off A1000+Solaris 2.7 8/99

11. BOOT delays in Linux 0.99.14

12. Booting problem under 1.99.6 or later

13. Cant boot from NEC 3Xi CD 0.99.14 Yggdrasil