Installation Problem

Post by Brian McDonal » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

New to linux and attempting to install Caldera OpenLinux on a system with an
AMD-K5-PR100 CPU, a EXP8661 ver 1.3 Motherboard and a Conner Perpipherals
CFS541A (540MB) with a Primary DOS partition and an Extended DOS partition
and when booting from install disc I am being confronted with the following
:

Quote:>>>kernel: check disk partition tables<<<

Partition check:
  hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 >
invalid compressed format (err=2)
Quote:>>>kernel: mounting root filesystem<<<

VFS: Cannot open root device 08:02
kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:02

At this point the system halts.

Can anybody offer a solution?

Thanks.

Installation Problem

Post by Daniel J. Morri » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:Brian McDonald wrote...
>New to linux and attempting to install Caldera OpenLinux on a system with
an
>AMD-K5-PR100 CPU, a EXP8661 ver 1.3 Motherboard and a Conner Perpipherals
>CFS541A (540MB) with a Primary DOS partition and an Extended DOS partition
>and when booting from install disc I am being confronted with the following

>Partition check:
>  hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 >
>RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
>invalid compressed format (err=2)
>VFS: Cannot open root device 08:02
>kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:02

I am tempted to say RTFM, but I'm feeling helpful.

The precompiled kernel you are using is set to use device major 8 minor 2 as
its root partition.  This is a SCSI device, which presumably you don't have.
You will need to tell the kernel specifically which device to use as root,
which I guess will be the ramdisk.

You can probably achieve all this with a LILO boot: command.  I respectfully
suggest that you read the LILO documentation on how to do this, as you will
probably solve a lot of other problems at the same time.

Good luck

Daniel.

1. installation problem - system restart in the middle of installation

I have been trying to install Red Hat Linux 7.1 on a system that has
Win 98. But during the installation of linux, my computer will restart
for no apparent reason. Sometimes it will restart while loading the
configurations or sometime during file copying. Does anyone know a
solution to this problem??

I tired install Win 2000 on the same system and the same thing happens
too.

2. __attribute__ aligned isn't ... linker limitiation?

3. check results of a mksysb

4. How do allow guest login?

5. Installation problems, problems, problems!

6. NIS advantages

7. PCI and Harddrive problems installation problems

8. Installation Problems with 4.4 and 4.5 (partition problem)

9. GS 5.01 INSTALLATION PROBLEMS ON LINUX--JPEG/MAKE PROBLEM

10. two installation problems with 2.9

11. Solaris8 x86 installation problem