Seting up video for a fixed frequency monitor

Seting up video for a fixed frequency monitor

Post by Webcommand » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

OK, I know I was asking for trouble, but I just acquired an old Sony
Trinitron (GDM-1604B15) monitor which use to be connect to a 25Mhz
sparc system. Actually I've had it for a while and my wife say use it
or loose it!

The problem is that this monitor is a bit odd and is fixed frequency:
Res: 1152x900 at 66Hz max
HR: 61.8KHz
VR: 66 Hz

I've attempted to work through the XFree86 Video Timings HowTo, but
it's geared around getting the max res out of a multi-sync monitor and
I haven't had much luck working the numbers yet.

Has anyone setup a fixed freq monitor and have some guidelines on how
to setup the modelines?  Is it in the HOWTO and there's some easy way
to work backwards with the procedure?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. multiple video cards ; fixed frequency monitor ; Matrox Millenium ; Linux ; X

I'd like to use a fixed frequency (a Hitachi CM2073A) monitor
on my Matrox Millenium Linux system.

I already know about SVGATextMode & which modelines to provide
to XFree86/MetroX. I also already have schematics for a
vsync+hsync signal combining circuit. No problem so far.

What bugs me still is that the Matrox Millenium comes up in text mode
at boot time, which may well fry the fixed-frequency CRT. Uh oh.
Switching it on later is not a good solution: one might forget,
and then one also misses the boot messages.

I know one can plug in a second video card, which overrides the
Matrox. How to do it, however?

Must one do it with a monochrome Hercules (I could get one,
with the according monitor), or does any VGA/SVGA/EGA/CGA
suffice? Has one to poke around in system setup, or has one to
jumper the video card? (Obviously, I am really clueless about PC
hardware).

'gene

2. Windows '95 and Linux Ethernet

3. multiple video cards ; fixed frequency monitor ; Matrox Millenium

4. #2 open of pid file failed:

5. multiple video cards ; fixed frequency monitor ; Matrox Millenium ; Linux ; X (fwd)

6. uucico: unrecognized option `-L'

7. Configuring Xwindows with a Sony fixed frequency monitor and Cirrus Logic GD-5480 chipset video card

8. Help with transfering files win95-linux

9. How do you set up Xfree86 for Fixed Frequency Monitors

10. Fixed Frequency Monitors?

11. fixed frequency monitor

12. Multimonitor w/ fixed-frequency monitor.

13. Fixed Frequency Monitor - Success!