booting new kernels: lilo/grub problem

Post by dun.. » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 02:42:48

I'm running mandrake and a fairly recent version of lilo/grub.
The problem is any new test kernel (eg 2.4.0test......) does not seem
to boot at all, either using grub or lilo. 2.4.0test5 certainly works
ok. Someone told me to upgrade to the latest version of lilo, not
really sure if this would work as grub can't boot it either. Compiling
lilo doesn't seem to work anyway :)
By "doesn't boot" i mean it gets to "Uncompressing Linux.. OK" and
then just stops there. No more kernel booting after that. I must be
doing something really stupid.. i am  a newbie.
The subject line says "lilo/grub prob.." but probably isn't a lilo or
grub problem :)

Could anyone help? Thanks a lot in advance!

Duncan

Post by Srihari Vijayaraghava » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 13:28:35

> I'm running mandrake and a fairly recent version of lilo/grub.
> The problem is any new test kernel (eg 2.4.0test......) does not seem
> to boot at all, either using grub or lilo. 2.4.0test5 certainly works
> ok. Someone told me to upgrade to the latest version of lilo, not
> really sure if this would work as grub can't boot it either. Compiling
> lilo doesn't seem to work anyway :)
> By "doesn't boot" i mean it gets to "Uncompressing Linux.. OK" and
> then just stops there. No more kernel booting after that. I must be
> doing something really stupid.. i am  a newbie.
> The subject line says "lilo/grub prob.." but probably isn't a lilo or
> grub problem :)

> Could anyone help? Thanks a lot in advance!

> Duncan

Hello Duncan,

Did you have the following section enabled while compiling your 2.4.0-test*
kernel?

"Character devices - Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 DRI support) - 3dfx
Banshee/Voodoo3+"

If the above mentioned was TRUE, then try the following:

1. Select "No" to "Character devices - Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86
DRI support) - 3dfx Banshee/Voodoo3+"

2. You might want to enable Frame Buffer support OR pass on "vga=normal" to
the kernel. This is limited to Mandrake distribution and got nothing to do
with kernel. Because the default Mandrake Lilo configuration might pass on
"vga=788" which requires Frame Buffer support.

3. Compile and install the new kernel, and see if it happens again.

Hope this helps, and All the best.
--
Thank you,
Hari.

booting new kernels: lilo/grub problem

Post by dun.. » Thu, 28 Dec 2000 04:02:12

This does not seem to work though. I don't think the display is at
fault, seems like something that actually invokes the kernel is wrong.
I haven't a clue!

Duncan.

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000 15:28:35 +1100, Srihari Vijayaraghavan

>> I'm running mandrake and a fairly recent version of lilo/grub.
>> The problem is any new test kernel (eg 2.4.0test......) does not seem
>> to boot at all, either using grub or lilo. 2.4.0test5 certainly works
>> ok. Someone told me to upgrade to the latest version of lilo, not
>> really sure if this would work as grub can't boot it either. Compiling
>> lilo doesn't seem to work anyway :)
>> By "doesn't boot" i mean it gets to "Uncompressing Linux.. OK" and
>> then just stops there. No more kernel booting after that. I must be
>> doing something really stupid.. i am  a newbie.
>> The subject line says "lilo/grub prob.." but probably isn't a lilo or
>> grub problem :)

>> Could anyone help? Thanks a lot in advance!

>> Duncan
>Hello Duncan,

>Did you have the following section enabled while compiling your 2.4.0-test*
>kernel?

>"Character devices - Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 DRI support) - 3dfx
>Banshee/Voodoo3+"

>If the above mentioned was TRUE, then try the following:

>1. Select "No" to "Character devices - Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86
>DRI support) - 3dfx Banshee/Voodoo3+"

>2. You might want to enable Frame Buffer support OR pass on "vga=normal" to
>the kernel. This is limited to Mandrake distribution and got nothing to do
>with kernel. Because the default Mandrake Lilo configuration might pass on
>"vga=788" which requires Frame Buffer support.

>3. Compile and install the new kernel, and see if it happens again.

>Hope this helps, and All the best.
>--
>Thank you,
>Hari.

1. Help to boot new kernel with grub -delited the old kernel before tried the new one

Hi.
Can someone help, how to update Grub so I can boot into linux. I
updated the kernel with up2date software on RedHat and followed the
Instructions to delete the old kernel files from /boot and now I can't
boot into anything old or new kernel. What do I do to boot into linux.
And Grub boot loader doesn't let me run any usefull commands. Thank
you. I tried to update Redhat 7.3 so it would let me boot into linux
but that didn't work. Thank you.

2. loopback configuration

3. How to boot new Kernel with Grub -deleted the old files in /boot directory

4. IPFilter rdr round-robin functionality

5. GRUB: adding a new kernel boot entry

6. Need help with pseudo tty, read(), and timeout

7. Problem booting new Kernel with LILO

8. rc.network ifconfig

9. grub and lilo booting problems

10. HELP: Problems booting after RH7.2 install, both GRUB and LILO

11. New Kernel and Grub problem

12. Grub/Lilo - How do you start with GRUB?

13. kernel boot with Grub problem