Moving from one HD to another...

Post by Francois Pi » Sat, 19 Apr 1997 04:00:00

OK, here's the situation: I have Linux installed on half of my 850M hard
drive, with DOS taking up the other half.  Recently, I added a 1Gig hard
drive to my system, and I just copied my entire Linux partition (yes, I
know, I shouldn't have just _one_ partition) to the new drive.  I
changed LILO so that it would boot from the new drive, and everything
seems to work fine (well, at any rate, I can boot from the new drive,
log in, and run applications).

Now, here's my question, before I delete Linux from its old home: can it
really be that simple?  I mean, can I just copy everything from one hard
drive to the other and have it work OK?...

 (= Francois =)
--
  Francois Pitt                           =) Don't Worry, Be Happy! (=
  Department of Computer Science                     +1 (416) 978-8725

  Toronto ON  M5S 3G4    (CANADA)     http://www.cs.utoronto.ca/~fpitt

Post by Mark Delane » Mon, 21 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Now, here's my question, before I delete Linux from its old home: can it
> really be that simple?  I mean, can I just copy everything from one hard
> drive to the other and have it work OK?...

Yes, I did it a couple of days ago!

You need to edit you lilo.conf
and get it to boot from the new partition, but thats it!

Or edit loadlin.

Check you can get into Linux from a rescue disk where you can specify
the partition to boot from, or you might get yourself into a catch-22 when you
need to start Loading from the 'new' partition!

Mark...

--

   |_________|                         http://snowwhite.it.bton.ac.uk/~mnd/

Moving from one HD to another...

Post by Dave Cine » Mon, 21 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>OK, here's the situation: I have Linux installed on half of my 850M hard
>drive, with DOS taking up the other half.  Recently, I added a 1Gig hard
>drive to my system, and I just copied my entire Linux partition (yes, I
>know, I shouldn't have just _one_ partition) to the new drive.  I
>changed LILO so that it would boot from the new drive, and everything
>seems to work fine (well, at any rate, I can boot from the new drive,
>log in, and run applications).

>Now, here's my question, before I delete Linux from its old home: can it
>really be that simple?  I mean, can I just copy everything from one hard
>drive to the other and have it work OK?...

Make sure you copies using options to preserve permissions, etc....

Dave 'Kill a Cop' Cinege  (aka Psychopath #3)  ---  Super Genius at Large
The Oklahoma City Federal building bombing -
Americas first response to government abuse

http://www.psychosis.com/

Libertarian Party 1-800-682-1776                http://www.lp.org/

1. how to move linux from one HD to another HD?

Hello

My aim is to reconfigure my hardware without reinstalling the software. My
problem is, that I'm not well-experienced in moving any unix-related OS
from one harddisk to a different one. I think it's quite complicated
because of its tree-like file structure.
If I'm wrong and the whole thing is so simple, please give me a hint!

thanx a lot

Patrick

2. BOOK

3. moving Linux, as a whole, from one HD to a new one

4. Qualcuno mi aiuti: il mio PC odia Linux

5. how to move linux from one hd to another

6. Movie Downloader

7. moving linux from one hd to another

8. Newbie. find and kill by parent process id

9. Move OpenBSD from one hd to another (different size)

10. Moving Linux from one HD to other

11. Linux: two 540 Mb HD or one 1GB HD

12. Moving my running X app from one server to one other?

13. Dos/os2/Linux and 2 hd's one 850, and one 425