Dell Inspiron 3000 laptop, Debian install gotcha

Dell Inspiron 3000 laptop, Debian install gotcha

Post by CodeFo » Mon, 17 Mar 2003 23:47:04

For some reason the network install for the woody version of debian
doesn't recognize my pcmcia adapter which prevents it from recognizing
the 3Com 3C 589 D-TP ethernet card.  I've concluded this because (a)
windows-2000 recognizes both and ethernet to the rest of the lan and
to the wider internet both work on windows-2000 so I know the card and
pcmcia adapter work, (b) it offered no "install from network" media,
and (c) backing up through the installation steps to the "configure
drivers" step and attempting to configure both types of pcmcia adapter
listed there failed.

So it's clear that it's not a hardware problem, and it's clear that
debian won't install with just what I've tried so far.  The question
becomes whether there is a way to get debian to recognize the pcmcia
adapter, whether there are driver parameters needed for this ethernet
card, or whether I'm better off just finding another distro that
offers a network install and is a little more robust in device
identification and/or initialization.

Suggestions?  tia.

Post by Richard Adam » Tue, 18 Mar 2003 00:28:56

> For some reason the network install for the woody version of debian
> doesn't recognize my pcmcia adapter which prevents it from recognizing
> the 3Com 3C 589 D-TP ethernet card.  I've concluded this because (a)
> windows-2000 recognizes both and ethernet to the rest of the lan and to
> the wider internet both work on windows-2000 so I know the card and
> pcmcia adapter work, (b) it offered no "install from network" media, and
> (c) backing up through the installation steps to the "configure drivers"
> step and attempting to configure both types of pcmcia adapter listed
> there failed.

> So it's clear that it's not a hardware problem, and it's clear that
> debian won't install with just what I've tried so far.  The question
> becomes whether there is a way to get debian to recognize the pcmcia
> adapter, whether there are driver parameters needed for this ethernet
> card, or whether I'm better off just finding another distro that offers
> a network install and is a little more robust in device identification
> and/or initialization.

> Suggestions?  tia.

Looks like your problem has been found before, take a look here;
http://www.ps.uci.edu/~tomba/inspiron/

--
Regards Richard

http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/

Post by CodeFo » Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:29:49

>> For some reason the network install for the woody version of debian
>> doesn't recognize my pcmcia adapter which prevents it from recognizing
>> the 3Com 3C 589 D-TP ethernet card.  I've concluded this because (a)
>> windows-2000 recognizes both and ethernet to the rest of the lan and to
>> the wider internet both work on windows-2000 so I know the card and
>> pcmcia adapter work, (b) it offered no "install from network" media, and
>> (c) backing up through the installation steps to the "configure drivers"
>> step and attempting to configure both types of pcmcia adapter listed
>> there failed.

>> So it's clear that it's not a hardware problem, and it's clear that
>> debian won't install with just what I've tried so far.  The question
>> becomes whether there is a way to get debian to recognize the pcmcia
>> adapter, whether there are driver parameters needed for this ethernet
>> card, or whether I'm better off just finding another distro that offers
>> a network install and is a little more robust in device identification
>> and/or initialization.

>> Suggestions?  tia.

>Looks like your problem has been found before, take a look here;
>http://www.ps.uci.edu/~tomba/inspiron/

Cool, I'm not sure why I didn't find it yesterday with google, but
thanks for the link it looks like just what I need.

Post by Richard Adam » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 06:46:17

>>Looks like your problem has been found before, take a look here;
>>http://www.ps.uci.edu/~tomba/inspiron/

> Cool, I'm not sure why I didn't find it yesterday with google, but
> thanks for the link it looks like just what I need.

www.linux-on-laptops.com
That one is hard to beat for questions on laptops.

--

Post by Richard Adam » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 06:54:30

> www.linux-on-laptops.com
> That one is hard to beat for questions on laptops.

Now heres a funny story;

I needed to find an answer for a fried, so i went to the above site, a
message at the top of the page said, You have 65.535 possable open doors
on your computer, + more *and a link to another page =

http://www.veryComputer.com/

So i goes there and i see the following;

Detected Operating System:   Windows
Detected Browser:                     Netscape
Detected Internet Address:     xx.xx.xx.xx

Huum, pity, i use slackware, i thought that was Linux.
I thought it funny.

--
Regards Richard

http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. debian/woody on dell inspiron 3000 (help!)

Upfront apologies for writing a tome.  I'm a tad desperate here at the
moment.  I am essentially a Linux-newbie.

I've been developing some code on Windows that I want to port to
Linux, so I need a Linux system so I can figure out how to do that.  I
chose debian for various reasons.  Around December I installed it on
my tower and it was slick-and easy to install from the network; I have
an ISDN line behind my lan router.  Anyway, shortly after installing
on my tower, it became obvious that things are not going to turn
around for me here.  I'm in the process of selling the house and
moving into a motor-home.  The tower isn't going to make that
transition, and it's likely that I'll only be able to get 56kb access
so I need to do downloads etc before hitting the road.

So I picked up a Dell Inspiron 3000.  It has a 3Com 3C589D-TP pcmcia
ethernet card.  I figured I could just do a network install like I did
on the tower.  Insert long delay while I find a new backlight and
install it, which I finished yesterday.  Oops.  It doesn't recognize
the ethernet card because it doesn't recognize the pcmcia adapter.

I was pointed to www.ps.uci.edu/~tomba/inspiron which tells how to get
around these problems, supposedly.  However I've concluded that his
information is RedHat specific and I need to be doing something else
for Debian, because I wasn't able to start the pcmcia adapter by using
his instructions.  He says that you can also reboot to start it, which
is kind of a joke on a fresh system because you're rebooting off the
rescue disk and you just spend a lot of time getting the same result
as before.

I'd really appreciate some help.  tia.

2. how to increase "NGROUPS_MAX (supplementary Groups)"

3. REPOST: pcmcia on a Dell Inspiron 3000 laptop

4. Harumph. PPP trouble under FreeSCO

5. Dell Inspiron 3000

6. Anybody got sendmail 8.7.2 to compile correctly?

7. Redhat 6 on Dell Inspiron 3000

8. Want BackSpace not DEL? HELP@

9. Dell inspiron 3000 & xmms?

10. does suspend mode work on Dell Inspiron 3000?

11. Dell Inspiron 3000

12. XF86Config file for Dell Inspiron 3000 running RH 6.0

13. Sound Card on Dell Inspiron 3000 and pcm ??