Vfat fs support setup

Post by Dan Ambo » Sat, 14 Sep 1996 04:00:00

How does one enable vfat support in Linux?  I know it it needs to be
compiled into the kernel and I answer the config in this way

Dos fat fs support - yes
Msdos fs support - yes
Vfat (Windows 95 )fs support -yes

I know that I need the first one as yes or the second two don't come up.
However when I say no to Msdos fs support, I can't access my msdos file
systems.  You'd think that using just Vfat support would be sufficient.
I'd like to be able to access my Windows 95 partitions with long filenames
because it sucks moving my Linux files over to Linux.  I've only got
Internet Explorer for Windows 95 currently.

--
Dan Amborn

Vfat fs support setup

:
: Dos fat fs support - yes
: Msdos fs support - yes
: Vfat (Windows 95 )fs support -yes
:
: I know that I need the first one as yes or the second two don't come up.
: However when I say no to Msdos fs support, I can't access my msdos file
: systems.  You'd think that using just Vfat support would be sufficient.
: I'd like to be able to access my Windows 95 partitions with long filenames
: because it sucks moving my Linux files over to Linux.  I've only got
: Internet Explorer for Windows 95 currently.

You need to also change the fstab entries for your Windoze partitions from
msdos to vfat after adding the vfat support to the kernel.  Currently, you
probably have a line similiar to this

/dev/hda1    /windoze    msdos     defaults    1   1

So, simply change "msdos" to "vfat" and reboot the new kernel having com-
piled vfat support and installed it (you may of course want to test it be-
fore actually installing it).  The new entry in /etc/fstab would resemble

/dev/hda1    /windoze    vfat      defaults    1   1

:
:
:
: --
: Dan Amborn

--Randy

 "You can't use a department-store mannequin and run it in these tests.  It
  doesn't tell you anything."  --  Dr. Albert King, of Wayne State Univer-
        sity, explaining why he uses cadavers for car crash tests.
  *Gate Technical Support              *Gate System Administration

Vfat fs support setup

Post by Uwe Bonn » Tue, 17 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: How does one enable vfat support in Linux?  I know it it needs to be
: compiled into the kernel and I answer the config in this way

: Dos fat fs support - yes
: Msdos fs support - yes
: Vfat (Windows 95 )fs support -yes

: I know that I need the first one as yes or the second two don't come up.
: However when I say no to Msdos fs support, I can't access my msdos file
: systems.  You'd think that using just Vfat support would be sufficient.
: I'd like to be able to access my Windows 95 partitions with long filenames
: because it sucks moving my Linux files over to Linux.  I've only got
: Internet Explorer for Windows 95 currently.

The first step was right. Now do "mount -tvfat ..." instead of "mount
-tmsdos ..."

Vfat fs support setup

Post by Caldera Desktop Us » Wed, 18 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>How does one enable vfat support in Linux?  I know it it needs to be
>compiled into the kernel and I answer the config in this way

>Dos fat fs support - yes
>Msdos fs support - yes
>Vfat (Windows 95 )fs support -yes

>I know that I need the first one as yes or the second two don't come up.
>However when I say no to Msdos fs support, I can't access my msdos file
>systems.  You'd think that using just Vfat support would be sufficient.
>I'd like to be able to access my Windows 95 partitions with long filenames
>because it sucks moving my Linux files over to Linux.  I've only got
>Internet Explorer for Windows 95 currently.

>--
>Dan Amborn

Compile for msdos and vfat support, then edit your /etc/fstab replace
msdos where it occurs with vfat and you'll be able to read your long
filenames.

Regards
Roy

Roy Bennett, Porlock, Somerset, England