newbie software install question

Post by Paul Richte » Sat, 26 Jun 1999 04:00:00

If you're installing .tgz packages, use installpkg or pkgtool instead of
unzipping/untarring and manually copying. They will automatically install
stuff where it's supposed to go, and you can use them to remove packages
too.

    I am running KDE on a slack 4.0 box.
    KDE comes at default under /opt/KDE, whrere am I supposed to  untar the
new packages (KDE and other stuff) i Install on my machine?
    I read in some howtos that /usr/local is where the programms should be
found.
    How can I get this done the right way??
    Thanks for an expected answer

    Hubert

1. Newbie software install question

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to Linux so please excuse my ignorance.  I'm trying to
install a couple small programs.  They error out of ./configure with

checking for kde libraries installed... configure: error: your system
fails at linking a small KDE application!
Check, if your compiler is installed correctly and if you have used the
same compiler to compile Qt and kdelibs as you did use now

I'm running RedHat 6, and this showed up when trying to install karam
0.2 or kdiskutil 1.4.  I haven't done anything to my compiler, or Qt, or
kdelibs, or anything else, it's all straight off the CD.

So where do I go from here?  Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan Youngquist
Homestead Products
Grain mills, water filters, lanterns, simple living & outdoors items
http://www.teleport.com/~dany

2. How to make linux ppp work with ethernet card

3. Newbie software/install question

4. OPENWIN INSTALLATION

5. Newbie question regarding installing software / packages

6. Basic cursor motion without curses

7. Installing Software on RedHat - Newbie Question

8. lean PNG viewer for Linux?

9. newbie software install problem

10. newbie needs help installing software

11. Newbie: Newly Installed GNU software.

12. Newbie Q Re: initiating newly installed software

13. newbie: Installing downloaded software