Install tutorial page?

Post by MeJustLookin' » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 10:23:37

I am trying to install Linux 6.2 on a system running Windows ME.
I have System Commander 2000 for partitioning my HD and
running dual OS's. Can 6.2 run without DOS? I believe Win ME
does not use it  (DOS) anymore.

I also have Linux for Windows 6.5 but didn't notice it
won't work with Windows ME. Is there a fix for this
or a work around?

Thanks for any help given

--

->->->->->->  Reply in newsgroup only please  <-<-<-<-<-<-

Install tutorial page?

Post by David Mitchel » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 12:27:16

Quote:> I am trying to install Linux 6.2 on a system running Windows ME.
> I have System Commander 2000 for partitioning my HD and
> running dual OS's. Can 6.2 run without DOS? I believe Win ME
> does not use it  (DOS) anymore.

Win Me does still use DOS (It is based on it, WinXP will supposedly stop
using DOS, like WinNT).

Linux never touches DOS, it is a completely separate OS (and a far sight
more powerful too).  To install linux, use System Commander to shrink
your Windows partition so you have at least 1.5 gig (preferably more)
which is unpartitioned.  Then run the linux install and it will guide
you through

Quote:> I also have Linux for Windows 6.5 but didn't notice it
> won't work with Windows ME. Is there a fix for this
> or a work around?

The work around is to not use Linux for windows, since it is very slow
and only as stable as windows, not as stable as linux (since it runs in
a window on your desktop)

Regards
David

Install tutorial page?

Post by MeJustLookin' » Sat, 10 Mar 2001 11:09:29

Ok thanks but not to sure about the

partitioning....never done it before.

Don't really want to lose my Windows until I learn Linux

and get it going properly.