LILO, BOOT ERROR, DISK ERROR AND MUCH MORE FUN

LILO, BOOT ERROR, DISK ERROR AND MUCH MORE FUN

Post by Jas Sandh » Sat, 03 Apr 1999 04:00:00

hi
i am trying to get lilo to work with redhat 5.2.
i can run linux from a boot floppy,
but i would like to use lilo so that i can also
run win 98 when needed.
my setup for the hard drive (from linux fdisk) and my
lilo.conf are shown below.

when i run fdisk -l in linux, i get the
partition information shown below and then the
error below about partition table.
By the way when i tried fdisk in msdos, it
only showed the dos partitions and i could not change
the active partition (only the dos partition
could be seen).

start of fdisk output:
Disk /dev/hda: 120 heads, 63 sectors, 837 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 7560 * 512 bytes
Device Boot    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1      284  1073488+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
/dev/hda2           285      836  2086560    5  Extended
/dev/hda5           285      568  1073488+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
/dev/hda6           569      596   105808+  83  Linux native
/dev/hda7           597      678   309928+  83  Linux native
/dev/hda8           679      819   532948+  83  Linux native
/dev/hda9           820      836    64228+  82  Linux swap
Disk doesn't contain a valid partition table

end of fdisk output.

Apart from the partition error above does this look o.k.?
i think i am above the 1023 cylinder (i'm
running in LBA mode).
my root partition hda6 i think is an extended
logical partition from what i've learned (i think!).
i'm not sure whether this is the correct position for
the root partition for lilo to run? it seems to
boot o.k. from my floppy.
i'm not sure whether i can boot from this partition?

From my lilo.conf, i should be installing in the MBR.

my lilo.conf looks like this:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
linear
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda6
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos
        table=/dev/hda

Now when i boot up, all i get is L and the system hangs.
i've checked some of the lilo FAQ's (mainly Almesberger's)
but have had no luck figuring out whats going on,
and how to correct it.

At the moment when the L comes, i had to restart the
pc, put my dos floppy in and fdisk /mbr and then restart
to get win 98 going again.
What are my options for getting lilo to work.

Instead of trying to install lilo in the MBR,
If i keep lilo in the hda6 partition how can
i get my MBR to make the hda6 partition the active
partition? that way i would not have to install
lilo in the MBR.

I hope one of you linux gurus followed this long
explination and can help me get rid of my win 98!!

thanks for your time
jas
can you please reply to my email address. thanks.

p.s. i have tried to read all available information
before posting this long message and i am a slow
learning beginner.

Post by Brian McCaule » Sat, 03 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> What are my options for getting lilo to work.

I can't see any reasons why what you've tried is not working.

Quote:> Instead of trying to install lilo in the MBR,
> If i keep lilo in the hda6 partition how can
> i get my MBR to make the hda6 partition the active
> partition? that way i would not have to install
> lilo in the MBR.

I can perhaps help a little here.

The DOS/Windows MBR will not chain a logical partition PBR so you
can't make /dev/hda6 active.  You can, however, install the LILO boot
partition in the PBR of the exendended partition (/dev/hda2) in your
case.

--

  .  _\\__[oo   faeces from    | Phones: +44 121 471 3789 (home)

  # ll  l\\  ~~~~ ~   ~ ~    ~ | http://www.wcl.bham.ac.uk/~bam/
 ###LL  LL\\ (Brian McCauley)  |

LILO, BOOT ERROR, DISK ERROR AND MUCH MORE FUN

Post by giang » Sun, 11 Apr 1999 04:00:00

The point is lilo and other boot managers don't like too many cylinders

a simple solution might be
to repartition using linux fdisk
under expert functions there is one to change
disk geometry ....
so you can lower cylinder numer under 1024

1. LILO error on trying to boot DOS (Error X04)

hi,

Installed Linux 1.2.8 / slackware ok. Installed Lilo to boot
Linux and DOS partitions. tried booting to DOS and Linux through Lilo,
and it worked fine.

I powered off the machine. went and had good night sleep, Got up next
morning, powered the machine on, got to the Lilo prompt, typed DOS and
now I get this error:

                            Error x04
                            Error x04

And these messages keeps printing on the screen forever...

I still can boot to Linux just fine.

How can one now boot to DOS? I can offcourse boot into DOS using my DOS
system disk,

If I then do FIDK/MBR (to reinstall my DOS boot record), I'll erase what
LILO write in there. and I will not be able to boot to Linux.

Is there a way to repair the dameged MBR so That I can boot to dos and
linux again.

Any ideas what to do?

thanks
nasser
a_4_days_old_linux_user

2. Sony CD Rom CDU55E (ATAPI) Hangs

3. disk errors with lilo boot

4. AIX 3.2.5 problems

5. Linux gives me an error in Lilo & Boot disk

6. chroot through C program

7. LILO gives error 0x10 with boot disk every time

8. Linux as a Xserver

9. Install Error: Boot Disk Gives crc error

10. 1.2.8: boot error: hda: DRDY error: status=0x01 { Error }

11. LILO error: Can only boot from floppy, LILO will only start dos not linux

12. How to config LILO on non-boot disk (b4 using it as boot disk)

13. Trying to setup a boot disk for linux 1.2.3/non-system disk error