RH5 FTP-install through firewall?

Post by CAB » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I've been trying to install RH5 via FTP.
Unfortunately I'm behind the corporate firewall (Raptor Eagle), which have
rendered my attempts unsuccessful.
There's also a MS Proxy running.

I have a IP, that's static on the inside; some 10.8.x.x address.
I have access throughout the firewall via normal validation on the NT4
domain.
I have supplied the DNS, def. gateway and so on. Still on the inside.

To shorten the detail: I can't get out of the company with the
FTP-installation procedure.
"Failed to login", "Failed host lookup" and so on.
I followed the on-screen instructions directly.

Does the FTP-installation require a "valid" IP, that will be routed on the
"other side"?
Where can I find further infomation on this subject?
How can I make sure that my netcard works with the RH5 boot-disk (a new 3COM
Etherlink III)?

I feel that I am forgetting something very basic....

Best regards,
/S* Suder
www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bay/7023

Post by Brion Vibbe » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I've been trying to install RH5 via FTP.
> Unfortunately I'm behind the corporate firewall (Raptor Eagle), which have
> rendered my attempts unsuccessful.
> There's also a MS Proxy running.

Download the files to a computer with an FTP server that's _inside_ the
firewall, then do an ftp-install from that computer.I think this is actually in
the installation directions, but no one would seriously expect anybody to read
those... ;)

Quote:> How can I make sure that my netcard works with the RH5 boot-disk (a new 3COM
> Etherlink III)?

Here's the list of supported 3com card from RH's hardware compatibility list:
3Com 3c503, 3c509/3c509B, 3c579 (uses 3c509 driver), 3c59x; 3c900, 3c905 (use
3c59x driver). Dunno which if any of these apply to your card, check the
manuals that came with it.

Post by Sebastien Rougeau » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I've been trying to install RH5 via FTP.
> Unfortunately I'm behind the corporate firewall (Raptor Eagle), which have
> rendered my attempts unsuccessful.
> There's also a MS Proxy running.

> I have a IP, that's static on the inside; some 10.8.x.x address.
> I have access throughout the firewall via normal validation on the NT4
> domain.
> I have supplied the DNS, def. gateway and so on. Still on the inside.

> To shorten the detail: I can't get out of the company with the
> FTP-installation procedure.
> "Failed to login", "Failed host lookup" and so on.
> I followed the on-screen instructions directly.

> Does the FTP-installation require a "valid" IP, that will be routed on the
> "other side"?
> Where can I find further infomation on this subject?
> How can I make sure that my netcard works with the RH5 boot-disk (a new 3COM
> Etherlink III)?

> I feel that I am forgetting something very basic....

I had same problems installing RH5.0 with ftp/proxy
If I remember correctly, what I had to do is:

on the first screen (when you have to enter ftp server name):
.choose the proxy method
.put my proxy server name as the ftp server to get the distribution from
.put the complete path to the distribution until i386/
(something like pub/.... redhat-5.0/...i386/)

on the second screen:

.put my email as the passwd

The problem is when it's not working, the installation procedure really
gives no clue of what going wrong, and you often have to reboot (quite
annoying actually).

Hope this helps

Sebastien

Post by Mogens Kjae » Fri, 06 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> The problem is when it's not working, the installation procedure really
> gives no clue of what going wrong, and you often have to reboot (quite
> annoying actually).

In many cases you can get useful information about the failure of the
installation
by going to the other screens (Alt-F2, Alt-F3 etc).

Mogens
--
Mogens Kjaer, Carlsberg Laboratory, Dept. of Chemistry
Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08

1. Installing via FTP thru a firewall

I have been trying to install FreeBSD with the boot.flp diskette and
the rest of the stuff coming via FTP.

My connection to the net is thru a firewall/proxy server.  (I'll say
right away that I'm a bit hazy on the difference between the two.  All
I know is that on my Win 95 machine - soon to be history? - Netscape
is configured with "manual proxies").

The handbook pages on the web says to use something like
    ftp://abc.foo.org:1234/pub/... (etc)
where 1234 is the port # that the proxy server is listening on.

Checking my netscape configuration I see that the port number that my
proxy/firewall is listening on is 80.  So I use that.

However, there is no place to give sysinstall the address of the proxy
server.  How can sysinstall know whom to talk to first?

Of course it failed, as I expected.  I tried many combinations
(passive, active [which was bound to fail anyway], with a :80 at the
end of the domain name, etc).

I'm sure I'm missing something here - can someone help?

Thanks,

Sita

2. reading all key strokes

3. ftp setup of RH5.2 thru proxy

4. read(fd, buf, size) after shutdown(fd, SHUT_RD) implementation-defined

5. RH5.2 ftp installation thru socks proxy

6. Wake Forest Linux Users

7. ftp client thru firewall

8. Kein Sound

9. FTP thru Firewall

10. ftp thru firewall proxy? (SCO 3.2v4.2)

11. FTP thru Firewall (Solaris)

12. ftp thru firewall from web browser

13. forwarding ftp to internal server thru firewall