installing 'packages' with Slackware

Post by Alan MacDona » Sat, 15 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>What is the name of the package add/install utility to use when
>installing things from the Slackware CDs. The booklet doesn't say
>anything. And is there a complementary remove utility?

>I'm aware that this post might get a response like RTFM, but I just have
>so much shit to wade through with FAQs and the like,I thought it would be
>quicker to post. Thanks.

Don't hit me if I am wrong, 1 day old newbie that I am, but I think it
is PKGTOOL.

Regards,

Alan MacDonald
--
___       __    ______ _____           ______
__ |     / /_______  /___  /______________  /_

Post by SetUpNam » Sat, 15 Nov 1997 04:00:00

What is the name of the package add/install utility to use when
installing things from the Slackware CDs. The booklet doesn't say
anything. And is there a complementary remove utility?

I'm aware that this post might get a response like RTFM, but I just have
so much shit to wade through with FAQs and the like,I thought it would be
quicker to post. Thanks.

1. Install 'hangs' during installation of 'Local Packages'

I have a 200 Mhz Pentium Pro 128 MB IBM Personal Computer 365
and am installing FreeBSD 4.4 from the FreeBSD 'Power Pak' onto
a 2 GB hard disk.

The drive is set up as follows:
256 MB swap
100 MB /home
1.6 GB /

The base system and the installation of X Windows proceeds fine.
However, after selecting the local packages to install, the
installation really seems to slow down.  Eventually, pkg_add
exits with a -1 return code.

By 'slowing down,' it seems that at times during the installation
of the local packages, it will 'hang' on a 'blue screen'.  (The
'waiting for pkg_add' message gets erased which leaves a blue
screen with the cursor in the lower right corner.)  Usually, the
install will continue after about 2-5 minutes and then slow to
a halt again.  This will repeat until the install ends with an
error.

Thinking that it could be the CD-ROM drive, I installed a new
drive.

Lastly, during numerous attempts, it doesn't seem to be the same
packages that returns the error.

Any ideas?

2. SATAConnect 1205SA ?

3. Installing 'X' from SlackWare 2.2.0 in a SlackWare 3.0 system?

4. lk-changelog.pl 0.134

5. Q: Installing Redhat6.2 will stop at 'Installing Packages'

6. Q: Mitsumi Quad-Speed

7. Pkgtool fra Slackware 1.2.0 won't install new packages

8. ipchains firewalling

9. Question on package install 'request' script...

10. RHT 6.2 Installation go hung at 'Installing Packages'

11. Slackware 3.5.0 install, 'Operating system missing.'

12. Warning: Don't install Slackware '96 TeX !!

13. Problem installing Slackware 2.1.0 ('bare' hangs)