Repartitioning a Windows disk and installing Linux

Repartitioning a Windows disk and installing Linux

Post by brad kittredg » Sat, 12 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for your time.

The problem is this:  I have a 6.0 GB disk partitioned as a vfat32 disk,
and I'd like to reduce the size of that partition to 3.0 GB and create
an ext2 partition on the other 3.0 GB.

The question is this:  Are there any tools (such as Disk Druid or
cfdisk) in a RedHat 6.0 distribution that will manage this
repartitioning without destroying the data on the Windows partition, or
do I have to spend the $$$ for Partition Magic?

Thanks again.

Repartitioning a Windows disk and installing Linux

Post by Silviu Minu » Sat, 12 Jun 1999 04:00:00

There is fips, if I remember well. I think the hard disk howto mentions it.

> Thanks for your time.

> The problem is this:  I have a 6.0 GB disk partitioned as a vfat32 disk,
> and I'd like to reduce the size of that partition to 3.0 GB and create
> an ext2 partition on the other 3.0 GB.

> The question is this:  Are there any tools (such as Disk Druid or
> cfdisk) in a RedHat 6.0 distribution that will manage this
> repartitioning without destroying the data on the Windows partition, or
> do I have to spend the $$$ for Partition Magic?

> Thanks again.

Repartitioning a Windows disk and installing Linux

Post by oc.. » Sat, 12 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi Brad,

As mentioned in an earlier message, Linux provides Fips (a Dos
program) to shrink Dos/Windows/Vfat whatever partitions.

First be sure to defrag your Hard Drive under Windows/Dos.

Secondly, if any data remains at the end of the Drive (ie the area in
which you wish to create the Linux Partitions, Fips will not  shrink
past that file. You will need to change the attributes of those files
from Read-Only then defrag again then put the file attributes back a
they were (otherwise windows will probably break or something).

Defrag again, then use fips

Hope this helps

Bill

Just another newbie

>Thanks for your time.

>The problem is this:  I have a 6.0 GB disk partitioned as a vfat32 disk,
>and I'd like to reduce the size of that partition to 3.0 GB and create
>an ext2 partition on the other 3.0 GB.

>The question is this:  Are there any tools (such as Disk Druid or
>cfdisk) in a RedHat 6.0 distribution that will manage this
>repartitioning without destroying the data on the Windows partition, or
>do I have to spend the $$$ for Partition Magic?

>Thanks again.

Repartitioning a Windows disk and installing Linux

Post by Anita Lewi » Sat, 12 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Yes, FIPS is good.  I used it on my 1.5 gig drive which is vfat32 and it
worked like a charm.  I have RedHat 5.2 and the program is in dosutils.  It
is a must to read the directions.  You need to defrag the drive for sure.  I
followed the directions and it was great.  I backed up everything as it
said.

Good luck
Anita

> Thanks for your time.

> The problem is this:  I have a 6.0 GB disk partitioned as a vfat32 disk,
> and I'd like to reduce the size of that partition to 3.0 GB and create
> an ext2 partition on the other 3.0 GB.

> The question is this:  Are there any tools (such as Disk Druid or
> cfdisk) in a RedHat 6.0 distribution that will manage this
> repartitioning without destroying the data on the Windows partition, or
> do I have to spend the $$$ for Partition Magic?

> Thanks again.

Repartitioning a Windows disk and installing Linux

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 12 Jun 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Thanks for your time.

> The problem is this:  I have a 6.0 GB disk partitioned as a vfat32 disk,
> and I'd like to reduce the size of that partition to 3.0 GB and create
> an ext2 partition on the other 3.0 GB.

As others have said, the DOS utility FIPS, which comes with most Linux
distributions, will do the trick if you first defrag your hard disk.  You
might also want to look into the Ranish Partition Manager
(http://www.users.intercom.com/~ranish/part/), which is a bit more
sophisticated and includes a boot selector program as well.  I've never
used it myself, though, and I don't know if it also require defragging the
hard disk before you use it.  (The commercial Partition Magic does NOT
require this, and version 4 also supports resizing Linux ext2 partitions,
so you might want to consider PM even though it costs money.)

--
Rod Smith

http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the "uce" word from my address to mail me

Post by Johan Adle » Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> <...> You
> might also want to look into the Ranish Partition Manager
> (http://www.users.intercom.com/~ranish/part/), which is a bit more
> sophisticated and includes a boot selector program as well.  I've never
> used it myself, though, and I don't know if it also require defragging the
> hard disk before you use it.  (The commercial Partition Magic does NOT
> require this, and version 4 also supports resizing Linux ext2 partitions,
> so you might want to consider PM even though it costs money.)

I've only been using Ranish Partition Manager, and it has worked wonders
for me. It's very easy to use. It does require defrag of disk in
advance, but it is still a work in progress so both that and resizing of
linux partitions (and actually porting to linux) is said to be on it's
way.

I would recommend it to anyone.

Johan

1. Install Linux without repartitioning MSDOS disk?

Use umsdos and you can install it on a DOS partition without re-partitioning.
I can't remember whether it should be the root or boot disk.

: I would like to install Linux on my PC(Pentium-75 with
: CD-ROM and Sound Card, Fax/Modem, in case these make
: difference). I am wondering if it is possbile to
: do it without re-partitioning the disk, since it is
: currently running MSDOS/MS-Window and has got a lot of
: things on it. I prefer not to move the things back and
: forth.

: Please email me if you can give me some details or point
: me to some documents about this.

: Also is there any disadvantage without re-partition
: compared to the installation with a re-partition?

: Thanks.

: -Tony

Stephen E. Farlow           Amateur Radio Call:  KJ5YN
Houston, TX.

2. Looking for papers about internals of the SunOS VM subsystem

3. installing linux - any way to defrag and repartition windows ntfs partition?

4. Problem: ASUS PCI/I-486SP3 w/ PCI SCSI

5. Repartition using linux install disks. Is it possible?

6. How to interrupt prtconf?

7. Repartitioning a Windows 2000 disk with FIPS

8. secure, configurable ftpd?? (NOT Wuarchive's)

9. Installing Windows 95, Windows NT & Linux on same hard disk

10. Repartition linux disk without lose of data

11. non-destructive repartition of linux disk?

12. Non-destructive disk repartition/Linux

13. Repartitioning Windows 98 Harddrive for Linux