CDROM re-installation

Post by Phil » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Howdy,

My NEC CDROM was doing irritating thing to my system -- no the least of
which was locking it up completely if it didn't like a particular audio
CD or Data CDR -- so I removed it.  This went fine.  Kudzu said, "Hey,
you removed your NEC 273 drive, do you wish to remove the config for
it."  It told it, yes, since I was going to swap it with an IBM CDROM I
have.  Well, long story short, the system didn't detect the newly
installed CDROM.  Kudzu didn't find the newly installed CDROM.  I
removed the IBM CDROM and put the NEC drive back in.  It still doesn't
care.  Now, this wouldn't be an issue, but I'm going to be replacing the
CDROM drive with a faster on ANYWAY, but if I can't make the system find
it, then it's not going to be worth it, now is it?

And, no, just putting it in the FSTAB doesn't do it.  The system doesn't
recognize /dev/hdc as a block-device (giving me the "insmod driver?"
message) and I don't have a /dev/cdrom set up.  BTW -- I am running
RH6.1.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Philip Ware
"I've never been so insulted in all my life."
"It's early, yet." -- G. Marx

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. ?? Automatic re-installation ??

Suppose you install Linux to a virgin disk from CDROM,
then install some more software from another CDROM,
some more from a floppy etc.

Now, of course, I can buy a tape to backup this installation.
But _all_ of it has obviously a backup already, so it it a
kind of waste to buy a tape to backup such a installation.
And I don't produce enough 'bytes' to justify the switch
from floppies to tape.

Does any utility exist, that can keep track of what I install,
and perform an (more or less) automatic reinstallation after
a crash (or rm -Rf *)? Or is there some standard Unix approach
to this problem? (Sorry, but 'the SysAdm' is not very experienced
yet :-)

Regards

Per Henning

2. ? Any issues jumpstarting 2.5.1 from 2.6 boot?

3. RedHat 6.2 re-installation fails

4. Odd behavior from df

5. Old Reisner Won't Mount After Re-Installation

6. pptp routing problems

7. How to backup installed Solaris packages for re-installation?

8. A basic feof question.

9. RE-installation

10. Linux re-installation

11. Re-installation and re-partition