Instlaling Linux on a 1.2 gig EIDE HD.

Post by Dian Kurniaw » Tue, 05 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Maybe someone else already ask about this, sorry, but I'm new to the
newsgroup.  I basically have 2 questions.
1.  I have a 1.2 gig Maxtor EIDE HD (partition into 5 equal sizes)
running OnTrack disk manager to "fool" DOS.  It has dos & WFW 3.11
running.  I'm planning to install Linux & OS/2 warp.  Does it matter
which one I install first? (to make my life easier)
2.  I tried installing Linux recently and followed an EIDE.TXT file I
found at  sunsite.unc.edu.  But it didn't work.  It behaved
differently than what the text file said.  Is there a FAQ or something
that can tell me how to install Linux on my HD?  Or maybe someone
suceeded in installing it on a HD > 528mb ??

HELP!

thanks,
Dian

Instlaling Linux on a 1.2 gig EIDE HD.

Post by MCZ Schoemak » Fri, 15 Sep 1995 04:00:00

According to Dian Kurniawan:

Quote:> Maybe someone else already ask about this, sorry, but I'm new to the
> newsgroup.  I basically have 2 questions.
> 1.  I have a 1.2 gig Maxtor EIDE HD (partition into 5 equal sizes)
> :
> 2.  I tried installing Linux recently and followed an EIDE.TXT file I
> found at  sunsite.unc.edu.  But it didn't work.  It behaved
> differently than what the text file said.  Is there a FAQ or something
> that can tell me how to install Linux on my HD?  Or maybe someone
> suceeded in installing it on a HD > 528mb ??

Did you try the IDECD bootdisk (from sunsite.unc.edu)?  It doesn't require
any tricks, just accepts >16 heads.
--
Marco

1. 1.2 Gig EIDE & Linux

: Hey guys,

: Well, I got my EIDE hard drive in and of course Linux won't recognize it.
: I've never had a hard drive this large so I wasn't aware of the problems
: associated with > 1024 cylinders. HELP. What can I do. I want to put
: Linux on it as well as DOS. After running Disk Manager I'm able to use
: the drive in DOS but Linux won't recognize it. Anyone have any
: suggestions. I'm reading everything I can get my hands on but so far no
: luck. Please help me. Thanks.
: --
: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
: I don't mind what Congress does, as long as they don't do it in the
: streets and frighten the horses.    -- Victor Hugo

Disk Manager is bad, get rid of it. Then put a small, 150 megs or so,
Linux root partition below the 1024'th cylynder. Put a large /usr
partition and a swap partition above the 1024'th cylynder and edit your
/etc/fstab so a line like

/dev/hdb2        /usr        ext2        defaults

appears and the /usr partition will be mounted at boot. Use any remaining
space below the 1024th cylynder for a DOS partition if you still want one.

2. Apsfilter problem..

3. 1.2 gig hd too big for a 386sx/25???

4. FS: Sparc Station Ultra10S

5. Western Digital 1.2 Gig HD

6. Help me !!

7. How to get Linux to run with a 1.2 gig Samsung?

8. 4.3.3 on 590?

9. 1.2 Gig drive big enough for Linux?

10. Western Digital 1.2 GIG w/ LINUX. HELP!

11. Trying to install Linux on a 1.2 gig scsi

12. Linux not recognizing my 1.2 Gig DOS Hard Drive