Font server troubles

Post by Ashley Mark Ga » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm having trouble with my font server on RedHat 6.0.  When running
startx, I get an error about not being able to connect to the font server
unix/:-1.

I ran a chkfontpath as per someone else's posting, all the font
directories are there.  If I replace the fontpath statement in XF86Config
with a plain listing of directory entries, X seems to run okay (though any
user but root can't seem to run anything off the KDE menu...).  I've seen
a variety of errors at various points while running X or failing to; most
pertain (as best as I can tell) to the font server.  Looking through
boot.log, I see that xfs started correctly, but when I shut down it
doesn't exit successfully.  This problem suddenly appeared; I don't recall
making any changes to the system between working and not working.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.  I can post a listing
of the errors I've seen if it helps (with some effort...).

Thanks kindly in advance.

--
Ashley Gadd.

Brain:  Promise me something, Pinky.  Never breed.
Pinky:  I'll try.

Font server troubles

Post by Hal Burgi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I'm having trouble with my font server on RedHat 6.0.  When running
>startx, I get an error about not being able to connect to the font server
>unix/:-1.

>I ran a chkfontpath as per someone else's posting, all the font
>directories are there.  If I replace the fontpath statement in XF86Config
>with a plain listing of directory entries, X seems to run okay (though any
>user but root can't seem to run anything off the KDE menu...).  I've seen
>a variety of errors at various points while running X or failing to; most
>pertain (as best as I can tell) to the font server.  Looking through
>boot.log, I see that xfs started correctly, but when I shut down it
>doesn't exit successfully.  This problem suddenly appeared; I don't recall
>making any changes to the system between working and not working.

>If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.  I can post a listing
>of the errors I've seen if it helps (with some effort...).

Error messages are generally pretty helpful. One thing to look for is
full (or nearly full) filesystem, by running 'df'. xfs uses /tmp (maybe
KDE too, dunno), and if filesystem is passed the reserved-for-root
portion, then xfs fails. Something to try anyway.

--
Hal B

--
            Linux helps those who help themselves

Font server troubles

Post by root » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >I'm having trouble with my font server on RedHat 6.0.  When running
> >startx, I get an error about not being able to connect to the font server
> >unix/:-1.

> >I ran a chkfontpath as per someone else's posting, all the font
> >directories are there.  If I replace the fontpath statement in XF86Config
> >with a plain listing of directory entries, X seems to run okay (though any
> >user but root can't seem to run anything off the KDE menu...).  I've seen
> >a variety of errors at various points while running X or failing to; most
> >pertain (as best as I can tell) to the font server.  Looking through
> >boot.log, I see that xfs started correctly, but when I shut down it
> >doesn't exit successfully.  This problem suddenly appeared; I don't recall
> >making any changes to the system between working and not working.

> >If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.  I can post a listing
> >of the errors I've seen if it helps (with some effort...).

> Error messages are generally pretty helpful. One thing to look for is
> full (or nearly full) filesystem, by running 'df'. xfs uses /tmp (maybe
> KDE too, dunno), and if filesystem is passed the reserved-for-root
> portion, then xfs fails. Something to try anyway.

> --
> Hal B

> --
>             Linux helps those who help themselves

Freed up space in /tmp, ran e2fsck and life is good again.

1. xfs font server troubles

I start xfs in a startup script, it starts correctly without errors.
Whenever I issue the startx command, the X server stops loading with an
error message that the fixed font could not be loaded. If I say startx
again, the server starts without any more error.

Whenever I access the font server before the X server starts, everything is
ok. That is, if I say fsinfo first and then startx, the startx command
succeeds.

This shows to me that something with the fontserver must go wrong and it
has to be some kind of "enabled" first (by accessing it once) to make it
work (strange to say the fsinfo doesn't give me any errors).

My startup and configuration scripts for X contain the minimum needed to
run the X server and I didn't have this problem before (you know, one day,
something is different, even if you don't remember to have done something
that could cause your problem - so you don't know how to resolve it)

What do I do wrong???

2. Pipe to ftp

3. X won't start, font server troubles

4. File cutter exist??

5. Gtk font dialog discriminates? / gvim font trouble

6. Anyone using monitor AAmazing?

7. Fonts scale troubles when using 4.0.2 server instead of old 3.x

8. Banyan connectivity

9. Trouble with X and font server - newbie question

10. Trouble with X Font Server

11. Fonts server, bad font, why?

12. FontTastic font server font path ?

13. F3 fonts and font server