Creating boot/root diskettes with RH 5.0?

Creating boot/root diskettes with RH 5.0?

Post by Chance Resch » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I am attempting to create a boot/root diskette set for RedHat Linux
V5.0, and it's not going well.  My machine boots from the first
diskette well enough, and it even mounts the root diskette and spawns
a getty.  However, all attempts to log in are refused with what looks
like some PAM error message (it flashes by very quickly).

As part of the debugging effort, I'm now using a small hard disk
partition as the root disk, and I've copied the entire set of PAM
libraries into /lib and /lib/security.  I've used 'find -anewer' to
identify every file that login touches, and I've put all of these (OK,
so I didn't copy the timezone stuff!) on my root partition as well.
Still no dice.

Does anyone have any idea about what I'm doing wrong?

Btw, I'm doing this so I can boot a machine from a diskette set, then
use dd over the LAN to copy a disk immage from a standard machine onto
the local hard disk.  The idea is to save the hassle of removing the
disk from 30 or machines in order to dup them.  Over 100MBs ethernet
it should still be pretty fast.

Thanks,
        Chance

Post by ar » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I am attempting to create a boot/root diskette set for RedHat Linux
>V5.0, and it's not going well.  My machine boots from the first
>diskette well enough, and it even mounts the root diskette and spawns
>a getty.  However, all attempts to log in are refused with what looks
>like some PAM error message (it flashes by very quickly).

Yes, this is a common problem: have a look at the Yard homepage
(http://www.croftj.net/~fawcett/yard/ ) for some pointers on this, in
particular the stuff on using yard with glibc2 and getting it to work
with RedHat 4.  Oh, and don't forget to include /etc/pam.conf

(I have now got yard to work with Redhat 5 + ftape.)

Andrew Runnalls

Post by Gerr » Mon, 26 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I am attempting to create a boot/root diskette set for RedHat Linux
>V5.0, and it's not going well.  My machine boots from the first
>diskette well enough, and it even mounts the root diskette and spawns
>a getty.  However, all attempts to log in are refused with what looks
>like some PAM error message (it flashes by very quickly).

>As part of the debugging effort, I'm now using a small hard disk
>partition as the root disk, and I've copied the entire set of PAM
>libraries into /lib and /lib/security.  I've used 'find -anewer' to
>identify every file that login touches, and I've put all of these (OK,
>so I didn't copy the timezone stuff!) on my root partition as well.
>Still no dice.

>Does anyone have any idea about what I'm doing wrong?

>Btw, I'm doing this so I can boot a machine from a diskette set, then
>use dd over the LAN to copy a disk immage from a standard machine onto
>the local hard disk.  The idea is to save the hassle of removing the
>disk from 30 or machines in order to dup them.  Over 100MBs ethernet
>it should still be pretty fast.

>Thanks,
>        Chance

I'm unsure where your problem is but here is something that will help
diagnose it. Press Shift-PageUp / Shift-PageDown to see those message
that flash by too quickly too read.

un-Powered by Windoze 95

Creating boot/root diskettes with RH 5.0?

Post by Rod Bric » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Try to find a rescue disk somewhere on the web.  I ran a search for
something like "+linux +rescue +disk" or something like that.  I found a
really nice compact rescue disk that had lots of stuff on it.  I booted
with it and mounted another disk.  Then I copied /bin/login from the
rescue root image, and put that file into my new rescue disk.  The
/bin/login file was an old version not requiring the Pam library.  To
check, do ldd /bin/login.

Hope it helps.

Rod

Creating boot/root diskettes with RH 5.0?

Post by tom you » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

You might want to look at the resq package available at
ftp.softserv.dynip.com/pub/linux/rescue/resq-1.5.1.tgz

Note the comments in the ftp welcome message.

        Tom

: >Hi,
: >
[...]

: *****************************************************

: un-Powered by Windoze 95

: *****************************************************

Creating boot/root diskettes with RH 5.0?

Post by Andy Rabaglia » Fri, 06 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Check out http://www.croftj.net/%7efawcett/yard/

and especially

http://www.croftj.net/%7efawcett/yard/gnu_libc.html

Cheers,     Andy!

>Hi,

>I am attempting to create a boot/root diskette set for RedHat Linux
>V5.0, and it's not going well.  My machine boots from the first
>diskette well enough, and it even mounts the root diskette and spawns
>a getty.  However, all attempts to log in are refused with what looks
>like some PAM error message (it flashes by very quickly).

1. How Do I Create SVR4.2 Root & Boot Diskettes?

Summmary: How do I create root & boot diskettes on a generic SVR4.2
platform?

I am running a fairly generic OEM release of System V R4.2 from
Olivetti, and I need to create emergency root & boot 1.44mb diskettes.
I have no problem creating filesystems on diskettes, such as ufs, bfs
or s5, but I'm unclear about which filesystem I should use for the
emergency diskettes, and which files-- other than the kernel and
/stand/at386-- I need to include on the diskettes.

The Olivetti SVR4 documentation doesn't contain information regarding
boot diskettes, and this OEM release doesn't contain any nice little
value added scripts to perform such tasks, as SCO, AIX and other OEM
releases do.

I have looked through the latest 7 part FAQ and didn't come across an
answer to this problem. I would greatly appreciate any assistance
someone may have.

Thank you all for your time,
--
Greg Robinson

2. cannot find my CD-ROM

3. How do you mount the hd after booting from the boot/root diskettes

4. Linux to AS/400 connectivity

5. Trouble creating OS5 emer. root diskette

6. Needed patch to build ide-scsi with new IDE -ac merge

7. Creating a Rescue Diskette for RH 6.2

8. cpio link under Solaris 2.6

9. SMBFS-2.0.2 on RH 5.0 (was Re: make error on RH 5.0)

10. Redhat 5.0 and LILO boot diskette

11. Creating A Boot Diskette

12. Creating install boot diskette from cd-rom

13. Creating a Boot Diskette For a New Controller