Exiting installation: need to trash NT partition and bring it to Linux

Exiting installation: need to trash NT partition and bring it to Linux

Post by David B. Copelan » Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Currently, my machine is set up to boot to NT by default, and to boot into Linux
I insert a boot disk that does so.  I don't really need NT anymore and want to
use the space for another Linux partition.  Outside of re-installing Linux (I'm
using Redhat 5.1) what is the easiest way for me to:

a) Use the NT partition for Linux (don't care if I have to re-format/lose the
data on that partition)?

b) have linux boot w/out using the boot disk?

Dave

--

d  a  v  i  d . c o p e l a n d

    n o v o | i r o n l i g h t

voice            [415] 646.7026
  fax            [415] 646.7001

.      .     .    .   .  . ....

Exiting installation: need to trash NT partition and bring it to Linux

Post by George KOH » Sat, 15 Aug 1998 04:00:00

David,
  Ah, music to every Linux user's ears -- getting rid of NT.  All you have
to do is fdisk the partitions in question, either repartition them if you
want different sizes or just change the partition type hex code to Linux
native (type L to list hex codes).  Remember to give fdisk an explicit
argument to the drive in question, otherwise it'll default to your boot
drive (I think).
  As for a bootloader, just configure LILO and then install overtop of your
MBR.  See http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/LILO.html for more info.

Best,
Dan

Exiting installation: need to trash NT partition and bring it to Linux

Post by sam ada » Sun, 16 Aug 1998 04:00:00

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998 20:29:30 +0000, "David B. Copeland"

>Currently, my machine is set up to boot to NT by default, and to boot into Linux
>I insert a boot disk that does so.  I don't really need NT anymore and want to
>use the space for another Linux partition.  Outside of re-installing Linux (I'm
>using Redhat 5.1) what is the easiest way for me to:

>a) Use the NT partition for Linux (don't care if I have to re-format/lose the
>data on that partition)?

You could use the installation disks for NT and remove the partition.
Then quit the installation and bye bye NT!!
>b) have linux boot w/out using the boot disk?

>Dave

>--

>d  a  v  i  d . c o p e l a n d

>    n o v o | i r o n l i g h t

>voice            [415] 646.7026
>  fax            [415] 646.7001

>.      .     .    .   .  . ....

1. Trashing NT partition for Linux, Part II

I want to dump my NT partition and use it for Linux.  The partition shows up
when I do fdisk from Linux.  Can I delete it from within Linux and set it to be
a Linux Partition?  Or do I have to go to NT and delete it from there?

Dave

--

d  a  v  i  d . c o p e l a n d

    n o v o | i r o n l i g h t

voice            [415] 646.7026
  fax            [415] 646.7001

.      .     .    .   .  . ....

2. creating beep alerts

3. I'm Trashing NT - DO NOT BUY NT

4. Know how the Kernel works? HELP!

5. Need help: fdisk / 1+G scsi HD / dos trashes adjacent partition

6. pkg files in FreeBSD

7. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

8. make crash for apache 1.3.12

9. Putting Solaris on a partition without trashing my Windows partition.

10. Display trashed on exit from X

11. HELP: Linux partition trashed by DOS virus!

12. XF86_S3 with #9 trashes video mode on exit

13. Help: Cleanup zmodem exit trash in sh/ksh