init / telinit

Post by ke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Does anyone know the difference between init and telinit ?

The man pages give the same help about both.

init / telinit

Post by Colin Wats » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Does anyone know the difference between init and telinit ?

>The man pages give the same help about both.

The man pages also say:

# TELINIT
#        /sbin/telinit is linked to /sbin/init.  It  takes  a  one-
#        character  argument and signals init to perform the appro-
#        priate action.  The following arguments  serve  as  direc-
#        tives to telinit:

[...]

#        The init binary checks if it is init or telinit by looking
#        at its process id; the real init's process id is always 1.
#        From  this  it follows that instead of calling telinit one
#        can also just use init instead as a shortcut.

It might be worth reading this section if you're interested.

--
Colin Watson                                      [cjw44 at cam.ac.uk]
Trinity College, Cambridge, and Computer Science       [riva.ucam.org]

init / telinit

Post by Norman Levi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Its the same as

6 of one, 1/2 a dozen of the other.

one is usually a link to the other.
--
Norman Levin
vm/dynAmIX inc.

init / telinit

Post by QuestionExchang » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> The man pages give the same help about both.

The init binary checks if it is init or telinit by looking at
its process id;  the  real  init's process id is always 1.
From this it follows that instead of calling telinit one can
also just use init instead as a shortcut.

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet1/showUsenetGuest?ans_id=2647&...

1. differences between init = 4 and telinit

what is the main difference between telling the system to kick off x
setting the init level to 4 and setting the default init level to say 3
and then using tellinit to switch to level 4 which then kicks off xdm

also, is there any way (although it says you can in the man pages) of
finding out where the customisation of the xdm

cheers

ray

2. TTY I/O Question

3. DIFF?? kill -HUP 1 <==> telinit q

4. I am the new lieutenant kernel

5. inittab and telinit problems

6. bootp server replies being ignored by bootp client

7. telinit 5 endless loop??

8. 'script' with timestamp

9. telinit 5 and xdm ... won't log me in..

10. telinit problem

11. Equivalent of /sbin/telinit 3 on BSD?

12. WARNING: telinit and X don't mix

13. Telinit 6 questions