Modem connects, problems with Netscape, telnet, etc,(Where is my mind?)

Modem connects, problems with Netscape, telnet, etc,(Where is my mind?)

Post by Paul Eisenbe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hey!  I finally got my a modem to work and connect with my Internet
Server after using the following line

setserial /dev/ttyS2 auto_irq autoconfig

It then seems to dial fine after putting a # sign in front of auth on
the /etc/ppp/options(i think correct path).  Now after I connect and
it logs in I am unable to use Netscape, telnet, or anything else.  It
seems like I'm not connected at all.  I tried pinging, telnet, etc,
etc, on many sites.  I also used another account besides root since I
read Corel disables Internet browsing with the root account.  Any help
would be great.  I also am curious as how to make the setserial line
above load up every time?  I think I edit the /etc/rc.boot/0setserial
but I'm not sure if that is correct, and what to edit.  Any help would
be great! Thanks! Take Care.  Paul

Modem connects, problems with Netscape, telnet, etc,(Where is my mind?)

Post by Linux-Addic » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

If you have a ethernet card (nic) in your box, your going to have to
run this command at SU , /sbin/ifconfig eth0 down. if the nic is up and
running Netscape is looking to the network to run ,not your dialup.
To load in your modem at bootup in /etc/rc.d/rc.serial add the following
line, this is my settings you will have to run cat /proc/pci to get your
settings. In /rc.serial , setserial /dev/modem uart 16550A  port 0xb800
irq 10. If the /rc.serial doesn't exist use Emacs editor to create it.

Quote:> Hey!  I finally got my a modem to work and connect with my Internet
> Server after using the following line

> setserial /dev/ttyS2 auto_irq autoconfig

> It then seems to dial fine after putting a # sign in front of auth on
> the /etc/ppp/options(i think correct path).  Now after I connect and
> it logs in I am unable to use Netscape, telnet, or anything else.  It
> seems like I'm not connected at all.  I tried pinging, telnet, etc,
> etc, on many sites.  I also used another account besides root since I
> read Corel disables Internet browsing with the root account.  Any help
> would be great.  I also am curious as how to make the setserial line
> above load up every time?  I think I edit the /etc/rc.boot/0setserial
> but I'm not sure if that is correct, and what to edit.  Any help would
> be great! Thanks! Take Care.  Paul

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Modem connects, problems with Netscape, telnet, etc,(Where is my mind?)

Post by Dances With Cro » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:45:00 GMT, Paul Eisenberg

Quote:>Hey!  I finally got my a modem to work and connect with my Internet
>Server after using the following line

>setserial /dev/ttyS2 auto_irq autoconfig

>It then seems to dial fine after putting a # sign in front of auth on
>the /etc/ppp/options(i think correct path).  Now after I connect and
>it logs in I am unable to use Netscape, telnet, or anything else.  It
>seems like I'm not connected at all.  I tried pinging, telnet, etc,

Can you ping an IP address once connected?  For example,
  ping 64.28.67.48                 (IP of slashdot.org)
should give you something.  If it does, then you are connected, you just
don't have DNS.  You can fix that by either manually adding the DNS lines
in /etc/resolv.conf or having the PPP-up script do that for you.  kppp or
GNOME's PPP dialer have options to fill in the DNS servers.  The format of
the /etc/resolv.conf file is like so:

search
nameserver xxx.yyy.zzz.www
nameserver aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd

Replace those with the actual IP addresses of your ISP's DNS servers,
naturally.  Your ISP should be able to tell you those.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows      /\    "Man could not stare too long at the face
\----[this space for rent]-----/  \   of the Computer or her children and still

Post by spaml.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Hey!  I finally got my a modem to work and connect with my Internet
> Server after using the following line
> setserial /dev/ttyS2 auto_irq autoconfig
> It then seems to dial fine after putting a # sign in front of auth on
> the /etc/ppp/options(i think correct path).  Now after I connect and
> it logs in I am unable to use Netscape, telnet, or anything else.

If you have a shell account (dial up, terminal emulation) have you tried
minicom or seyon? Just checking that all is working with the modem.

If that is working, it sounds like a DNS configuration problem. Most
distributions have a configuration programme to help in setting those (in
TurboLinux is it turbonetcfg, for example). You'll, of course, have to
know the IP addresses for your ISP's DNS servers.

1. Modem connects, problems with Netscape, telnet, etc,(Where is my mi

If you have a ethernet card (nic) in your box, your going to have to
run this command at SU , /sbin/ifconfig eth0 down. if the nic is up an
running Netscape is looking to the network to run ,not your dialup.
To load in your modem at bootup in /etc/rc.d/rc.serial add the
 following
line, this is my settings you will have to run cat /proc/pci to get
 your
settings. In /rc.serial , setserial /dev/modem uart 16550A  port
 0xb800
irq 10. If the /rc.serial doesn't exist use Emacs editor to create
 it.

 /etc/rc.boot/0setserial

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. USR 33.6 Sportster STALLS !!

3. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 6 of 6)

4. Modem problem (no OK, CONNECT, etc.)

5. Setting up Red Hat 7.1 on a "Book PC" (Intel 810 chipset)

6. Netscape won't work after I am connected to my ISP

7. autoexec.bat's equivalent in Linux

8. Epson740 Stylus Color-am i losing my mind!!!!???

9. What modem speed am I connecting at?

10. PPP: Telnet, ftp work but Netscape etc. fail

11. HELP: slip connected, ftp, telnet and netscape are not working

12. Connecting an incomming telnet to a modem?