Installing w/low memory? (Red Hat)

Post by KCMAG » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to install Red Hat 5.0 on a box with only 4MB of RAM.  Using boot
disks, it gets to the point where it trys to load the root image into a ram
drive, and then runs out of memory and hangs.  Using autoboot.bat on the CD, it
tells me straight out that I don't have enough free memory ("load buffer size"
it says).

According to the documentation, it is theoretically possible to run Linux on
only 2MB, but no indication is given on how this can be accomplished.  Can
anyone out there help me?

Post by Justin B Willough » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I am trying to install Red Hat 5.0 on a box with only 4MB of RAM.  Using boot
> disks, it gets to the point where it trys to load the root image into a ram
> drive, and then runs out of memory and hangs.  Using autoboot.bat on the CD, it
> tells me straight out that I don't have enough free memory ("load buffer size"
> it says).

> According to the documentation, it is theoretically possible to run Linux on
> only 2MB, but no indication is given on how this can be accomplished.  Can
> anyone out there help me?

I believe you need to install more to get through the install. Then you
can remove the extra ram after. But If I were you I would try a use 16meg
of ram if possible. Ram is cheap and can really make a big difference.

- Justin

--
   _/     _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/    _/ _/   _/   RULES!!!!!!! * LINUX RULES *
  _/       _/    _/_/  _/  _/    _/   _/_/     Justin Willoughby

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. Problems with X on 333mhz imac + Mandrake 8.2

3. Low memory Red Hat install, how? -- InfoMagic broken

4. pings to freebsd machines fail.

5. Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already

6. disk usage script?

7. Red Hat 5.0 install problem: "Out of memory"

8. MMX

9. Low-memory install: Cannot allocate memory at startup!

10. Problem logging in after upgradation from red hat 8 to red hat 9

11. migrating from red hat 8.0 to red hat 9.0

12. The Red Hats are coming, the Red Hats are coming

13. Red Hat Piranha and Red Hat 7