XFree86 Question

Post by Midnig » Tue, 21 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I just downloaded a bunch of files for XFree86 (v3.3.2), and was a bit
curious as to where to unTar them from?  Does it matter?  Does Tar
understand absolute path names, or do I need to move the archives to the
proper directory (/usr/X11) and unTar them there?

Any/all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanx

XFree86 Question

Post by Gerall Kahl » Tue, 21 Apr 1998 04:00:00

When last I updated my XFree, I put the appropriate files in the
root directory ( / ), and untar'd them with tar -zxvf
whatever.tar.gz  Everything went pretty smoothly.

        Best of luck with it.  I'd try to do just one archive first,
just to make sure they didn't change the default setup.  That, or
read the manual.  (I know you're probably going to -- right?)
They should give all the particulars about the release you've got
in there.

        C-ya!

--
--=> Chrome    Celestial Mechanic        |
http://www.pernet.net/~kahlage           |

XFree86 Question

Post by Bo Forslun » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I just downloaded a bunch of files for XFree86 (v3.3.2), and was a bit
> curious as to where to unTar them from?  Does it matter?  Does Tar
> understand absolute path names, or do I need to move the archives to the
> proper directory (/usr/X11) and unTar them there?

> Any/all suggestions will be appreciated.

> Thanx

Untar them in /tmp, and after having it compiled and installed, delete the
source tree and the tarballs.
You can keep the tarballs as backup if you whish.

BTW. If you are going to compile and install X, why not install the very
latest?  X11R6.4.   You find it here
ftp://ftp.x.org/pub/R6.4/tars/

1. XFree86 question

Hi All:
I use RH7.1 on a stand-alone i386.
I recenlty upgraded to XFree86 4.1.0 using tar files from XFree site
and their install routine.

Now everytime I start rpm to install a new software that needs XFree I
get failed dependencies for files that are already on the system.  So, I
re-run the rpm using --nodeps parameter and all is well.

Q: Is there a way to cure this problem once and for all?
BTW: the path to XFree files is in the ld.so.conf file.

Thanks for any help.

Masoud

2. PCMCIA module not loading after rebuilding the kernel

3. Xfree86 questions

4. pattern matching IP addresses

5. XFree86 Questions.....

6. compile problem with kde 3.1 and 3.1.2

7. xfree86 question, I WANT MY 800x600!!!!!

8. comp.unix.programmer

9. XFree86 question

10. xfree86 question?

11. XFree86 question