Using Apple Laserwriter w/ Linux

Post by Todd Ignasi » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Has anyone successfully used an Apple Laserwriter IINT Postscript printer
from Linux?  I have them talking, and I can send small print jobs..  But
if I try to send anything sizeable it fails.  It will flash the light for
a while, processing the document, but never spit any pages out.
Also, if I send a multi-page document, it will print the first page but
not any others.

Any help is greatly appreciated..

-tji
Todd Ignasiak                                                 Ford Motor Company

Post by Mark Ra » Fri, 11 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>Has anyone successfully used an Apple Laserwriter IINT Postscript printer
>from Linux?  I have them talking, and I can send small print jobs..  But
>if I try to send anything sizeable it fails.  It will flash the light for
>a while, processing the document, but never spit any pages out.
>Also, if I send a multi-page document, it will print the first page but
>not any others.

We're using a IINTX on an SCO Unix box (and from Linux via lpd).  Your
problem is almost certainly one of flow control.  Since postscript is
plain ASCII, software (XON/XOFF) flow control works well.  We're running
38.4Kbps with no problem, even on many pages or largeish graphics.
--

1. Using a Apple LaserWriter Select 310

I recently use found a Apple LW Select 310, and I tried without sucess to
use it with my linux box (RH 7.1, with KDE 2.2.1). However, on my wife's
WinSnooze box, it prints fine. Slow, but fine. And it will be a upgrade
from a BJ 200e, so slow is fine.

Any tips on how to get it running? It appears to recieve the file, but does
not print a page. It just stops. Using Printool, I have tried the LW Select
360 driver, and the HPLJ 2 and 3 drivers. On my wife's machine, the 360
driver is what runs it.

Rob
--
Rob Blomquist
Kirkland, WA

2. /proc/dev: virtual device entries (/dev replacement)

3. Using APPLE LAserWriter with Solaris

4. MachTen (4.3BSD/Mach Kernel) not answering phone (help!)

5. Apple LaserWriter Plus w/ Linux

6. Looking for an NFS guru!

7. Linux / Apple LaserWriter 2 / Serial

8. Substitute for "ps"

9. how do you ''see'' an Apple Personal LaserWriter 320 in Linux?

10. Linux on x86 & Apple LaserWriter IINT

11. Apple LaserWriter NT on PC under Linux?

12. Linux printing on Apple LaserWriter?

13. Apple Laserwriter IINT under Linux??