BIOS Disk Limitation

Post by Steve La » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

We're running Linux 2.0.34 on an NEC 9520 and recently had to replace
the disk.  The new disk is an 8.4 GB Maxstor.  Unfortunately, the BIOS
in this machine only allows a 2 GB disk size but when linux boots, it
recognizes that the disk has 8.4 GB.  I'm wondering if there's some way
to get at the extra 6.4 GB via linux.  At this time, we're running with
the disk as though it's a 2 GB drive.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve Lapp

BIOS Disk Limitation

Post by Chris in sunny Manito » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Can't upgrade the BIOS? How about disk management software from
Maxstor? Usually those guys include something with the drive that gets
around that problem.

>We're running Linux 2.0.34 on an NEC 9520 and recently had to replace
>the disk.  The new disk is an 8.4 GB Maxstor.  Unfortunately, the BIOS
>in this machine only allows a 2 GB disk size but when linux boots, it
>recognizes that the disk has 8.4 GB.  I'm wondering if there's some way
>to get at the extra 6.4 GB via linux.  At this time, we're running with
>the disk as though it's a 2 GB drive.  Thanks in advance for any help.

>Steve Lapp

BIOS Disk Limitation

Post by Internet Real Esta » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Can't upgrade the BIOS? How about disk management software from
> Maxstor? Usually those guys include something with the drive that gets
> around that problem.

Western Digital does. I just upgraded to an 8.4 gig (from a 540 meg). The
drive came with "EZ-Bios" software which runs during boot.

Edward

------------------------------------
Internet Real Estate
"Sell Your Home Yourself - And Save Thousands!"
http://www.internet-real-estate.com/

BIOS Disk Limitation

Post by M. Buchenried » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>We're running Linux 2.0.34 on an NEC 9520 and recently had to replace
>the disk.  The new disk is an 8.4 GB Maxstor.  Unfortunately, the BIOS
>in this machine only allows a 2 GB disk size but when linux boots, it
>recognizes that the disk has 8.4 GB.  I'm wondering if there's some way
>to get at the extra 6.4 GB via linux.  At this time, we're running with
>the disk as though it's a 2 GB drive.  Thanks in advance for any help.

I can't see any problem. Linux doesn't have any disk size limitation
(well, fdisk does) . Just make sure that the /boot partition is entirely
below cyl. 1023 . The BIOS information regarding the disk geometry
really is completely irrelevant, as far as Linux is concerned.

Michael

   Note: If you want me to send you email, don't mungle your address.

BIOS Disk Limitation

Post by hbel.. » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I had the problem with a Maxtor 8.4gb drive.  Maxtor has software on their
site that supplements your system bios and allows you to see the entire
drive.  Download and install Maxblast 9.x from their site and it should
take care of all your problems.

> We're running Linux 2.0.34 on an NEC 9520 and recently had to replace
> the disk.  The new disk is an 8.4 GB Maxstor.  Unfortunately, the BIOS
> in this machine only allows a 2 GB disk size but when linux boots, it
> recognizes that the disk has 8.4 GB.  I'm wondering if there's some way
> to get at the extra 6.4 GB via linux.  At this time, we're running with
> the disk as though it's a 2 GB drive.  Thanks in advance for any help.

> Steve Lapp

BIOS Disk Limitation

Post by Tuomo O. Vuolteenah » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

In *.linux.hardware a number of people have posted warnings about Maxblast
software.  I'm not an expert on this issue, but it appears that Maxblast
is a controversial subject.  Does anybody have a good source on
intersection of Maxtor disks and Linux kernels?

> I had the problem with a Maxtor 8.4gb drive.  Maxtor has software on their
> site that supplements your system bios and allows you to see the entire
> drive.  Download and install Maxblast 9.x from their site and it should
> take care of all your problems.

> > We're running Linux 2.0.34 on an NEC 9520 and recently had to replace
> > the disk.  The new disk is an 8.4 GB Maxstor.  Unfortunately, the BIOS
> > in this machine only allows a 2 GB disk size but when linux boots, it
> > recognizes that the disk has 8.4 GB.  I'm wondering if there's some way
> > to get at the extra 6.4 GB via linux.  At this time, we're running with
> > the disk as though it's a 2 GB drive.  Thanks in advance for any help.

> > Steve Lapp

BIOS Disk Limitation

Post by Andries Brouw » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

: We're running Linux 2.0.34 on an NEC 9520 and recently had to replace
: the disk.  The new disk is an 8.4 GB Maxstor.  Unfortunately, the BIOS
: in this machine only allows a 2 GB disk size but when linux boots, it
: recognizes that the disk has 8.4 GB.  I'm wondering if there's some way
: to get at the extra 6.4 GB via linux.  At this time, we're running with
: the disk as though it's a 2 GB drive.

There is no problem. Just use Linux fdisk to partition the rest
of the disk. In case Linux believes the BIOS, give boot parameters
"hda=C,H,S" when booting the system (or in /etc/lilo.conf).
Usually, this will not be necessary.

[If it is necessary, could you tell me: what brand and version BIOS,

BIOS Disk Limitation

Post by Andries Brouw » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

: In *.linux.hardware a number of people have posted warnings about Maxblast
: software.  I'm not an expert on this issue, but it appears that Maxblast
: is a controversial subject.  Does anybody have a good source on
: intersection of Maxtor disks and Linux kernels?

Well, disk managers are useless and superfluous on Linux.
Moreover, they are a PITA.
So, use them only when it is absolutely necessary, that is,
when you have DOS/Windows on the same disk, and a BIOS that
will not support the full disk.

1. BIOS disk size limitation vs Linux and Windows

Background:

Using 2 GB SCSI drive with old BIOS (AMIBIOS 1994 A775 020695 for SIS 85C50X
chipset, no known way to get an upgrade). SCSI adapter is Adaptec 1542.
Windows installs
and runs, but the only 1 GB is available. If the same disk drive is moved to
another system
with a newer BIOS, Windows is able to use the entire 2 GB.

RH Linux 7.2 installation on the same system (with the 1994 AMIBIOS) (with a
given custom
set of packages to install, removing all existing partitions) creates new
partitions using the full
2 GB. It fails to create /etc/grub.conf. /tmp/install.log shows problem
installing kernel-headers:

    unpacking of archive failed on file
    /usr/include/linux/hdreg.h; 3c020871 :
    cpio: MD5 sum mismatch

The install finally hangs at the end of kernel installation "unable to
handle kernel paging request".

Question 1 (top priority): Could someone familiar with BIOS internals please
explain (at the
pseudocode level) how the BIOS is involved in limiting the maximum supported
disk size.

Question 2 (top priority): Could someone familiar with Linux internals
please explain how
Linux relies on the BIOS (or, in this case, can fail to heed limitations in
the BIOS) in determining
the maximum practical effective drive size. (There seems to be an
opportunity here to improve
Linux.)

Question 3 (lower priority - knowledge is more valuable than results!): Any
suggestions for how
to make the Linux installation work, other than the obvious: 1. Replace the
disk drive with a
smaller one. 2. Upgrade the BIOS. 3. Replace the motherboard. 4. Modify
Linux source.

2. Notebook at LAN

3. BIOS hard disk limitation

4. Smail and SMTP

5. I need to set up windows printer to print on AIX

6. multiboot issues: BIOS limitations on hard disk size in LILO?

7. HELP: changing users file-creation mode mask

8. Award BIOS/32 GB disk limitation

9. how to setup BIOS: Disk BIOS Translation etc.

10. Is the 1024 cyls "BIOS-limitation" actually a linux flaw?

11. Installing Linux on PC with Old Bios 512MB HD limitations

12. 45 GB HD - How to get past BIOS limitation?