Using INN and SLIP for news spool

Post by Coire Cade » Wed, 21 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi.

        I'm running RedHat Linux 3.0.3 with the INN package installed.
What I would like to do is maintain a small news spool on my machine, via
a SLIP connection (over which I have access to an NNTP server).  Does anybody
have any information on how to configure INN to do this, and what the
relevant programs are?
        The way I'd like it to work is this:  Every night, a cron job
initiates a SLIP connection.  I'd like to retrieve all new articles in
the groups that I'm spooling locally, and send my outgoing articles to
the nntp server to be posted.  Of course, all of the expiry and maintenance
will also be done via cron.
        The ISP-Hookup-HOWTO for linux describes how to use Cnews and an
nntp program to do this, but I'd prefer to use inn if at all possible...

Thanks.
Coire

--

2nd Year Mathematics and Physics        | is there to stand for?  What is
Carleton University, Ontario, Canada    | there to combat?  What is there

Using INN and SLIP for news spool

Post by Thomas Wischgo » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:>    The way I'd like it to work is this:  Every night, a cron job
> initiates a SLIP connection.  I'd like to retrieve all new articles in
> the groups that I'm spooling locally, and send my outgoing articles to
> the nntp server to be posted.  Of course, all of the expiry and

[...]

Hi,

"suck" is designed to do such things.

Tom.

--

         "He who isn't feeling confused must be disinformed"

Using INN and SLIP for news spool

Post by Eze Ogwu » Sat, 24 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I setup a NNTP-INN news spool today so if you haven't already received
a reply I will try and help you.

I would like to know if you have the Red Hat book.

If you have trued to run any INN program as root make sure you have
the original inn rpms available.

Get slurp from the Red Hat contrib directory.

Get INN-Tips.{whatever} from the Red Hat site (I don't remember the
directory).

Let me know if you still require help

> Hi.

>    I'm running RedHat Linux 3.0.3 with the INN package installed.
> What I would like to do is maintain a small news spool on my machine, via
> a SLIP connection (over which I have access to an NNTP server).  Does anybody
> have any information on how to configure INN to do this, and what the
> relevant programs are?
>    The way I'd like it to work is this:  Every night, a cron job
> initiates a SLIP connection.  I'd like to retrieve all new articles in
> the groups that I'm spooling locally, and send my outgoing articles to
> the nntp server to be posted.  Of course, all of the expiry and maintenance
> will also be done via cron.
>    The ISP-Hookup-HOWTO for linux describes how to use Cnews and an
> nntp program to do this, but I'd prefer to use inn if at all possible...

> Thanks.
> Coire

> --

> 2nd Year Mathematics and Physics        | is there to stand for?  What is
> Carleton University, Ontario, Canada    | there to combat?  What is there
> PGP Public Key (ID. AC3CE61D) on request| to push back?"  - Front 242

--
Eze Ogwuma

1. INN: Reading in var/spool/news/in.coming before NNTP uplink ?

[Msg previously unanswered in news.software.nntp]

On a Linux 2.0.36 system running INN 2.0, for best performance the "tin"s
(etc.) of users on the same machine will usually read directly from
/var/spool/news instead of connecting to INN by NNTP. However, when posting
this way, the articles they post will get spooled in /var/spool/news/in.coming
instead of being entered in the out.going/my.nntp.uplink batch file
immediately (which works for those using e.g. "rtin -g localhost", of course).
How can I make sure INN will always read /var/spool/news/in.coming and
enter any articles found there into /var/spool/news/out.going/my.nntp.uplink
just before starting the dial-up connection ?

Thank you in advance for your help (please do also reply by eMail) !

Read U soon...

Greetinx

2. What change Drakeconf Low,Med,High Security Make - Mandrake7.0

3. Using a RAID box for innd news spools -- advice sought

4. IP Masquerading setup problems

5. IMPORTANT: Security problem with ucbmail when used with INN news server

6. Qt. about Shared libraries

7. Using Inn for news...

8. file merge

9. config news server using INN...

10. Can't post news using INN-1.4 ... any help ?

11. Setting up a news server (C News or INN)

12. IMPORTANT: (updated) Security problem with ucbmail when used with INN news server

13. how to read news article using INN