Newbie To Linux Need Help Makeing It Boot.....PLEASE HELP

Newbie To Linux Need Help Makeing It Boot.....PLEASE HELP

Post by Dr chad1 » Sun, 31 May 1998 04:00:00



Ok i've got 3 seperate hard drive partitions and 1 extended shared partition
which i set up useing a program called Partition Magic by Powerquest
on one partition i've got Windows 95
on the second partition i've got the beta version of Windows 98
the extended partition i'm useing as a shared partition for transfering files
between
Win 95 and Win 98
and the third partition is about 200 MB and currently empty
and thats where i want to install Open Linux Lite Version 1.2

I have System Commander by V Communications Corp.
which i am useing as a boot manager to select an OS on BootUp
and it has been working fine with Win 95 and 98

i i started installing Linux in the empty 200 MB partition , during the install
it popped up with a message that it could not  install LILO on the partition i
was installing to because it was a UMSDOS something partition,... so after
reading some documentation form the System Commander book (which said that i
shouldn't need LILO) i selected the option to not install LILO so then it
continued installing and when it got done and it wanted to boot Linux for the
first time,. it couldn't and gave me some kind of error message about something
like the screen that was suppost pop up (i cant remember what it called itself)
coulden't because of something to do with the root directory
and then it froze my whole computer up
So i Rebooted and when system commander popped up i selected to boot from my
new linux partition
to see if it would work at all,.. and my computer just froze again right after
i selected it.
Since i couldn't access the Linux partition at all, i booted into windows 98 ,
ran partition magic and completely  formatted the linux partition.

So i'm Going to have to start all over again but since i know absolutely
nothing at all about Linux or how it operates, I dont know how  to do it right
so that it will work correctly and be Bootable from the System Commander menu.

Can Somebody Out Thare Please Help Me With This
Or Give Me Some Suggestions
Or Info


Or Repost Something On The Usenet

Thanks

-=~ Dr Chad ~=-
  ~  (Charlie) ~

 
 
 

Newbie To Linux Need Help Makeing It Boot.....PLEASE HELP

Post by William H. Pridge » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00



> and the third partition is about 200 MB and currently empty
> and thats where i want to install Open Linux Lite Version 1.2

Do you have some special reason to install Open Linux Lite 1.2,
other than that you already have it?  I messed with it a while
back, had lots of problems, and went back to RedHat, which is what
I recommend for you.  You can get RedHat 5.1 from
httP://www.lsl.com for about $25.

Quote:> I have System Commander by V Communications Corp.
> which i am useing as a boot manager to select an OS on BootUp
> and it has been working fine with Win 95 and 98

> i i started installing Linux in the empty 200 MB partition , during the install
> it popped up with a message that it could not  install LILO on the partition i
> was installing to because it was a UMSDOS something partition,... so after
> reading some documentation form the System Commander book (which said that i
> shouldn't need LILO) i selected the option to not install LILO

I think you still need LILO to be on the Linux partition.
Speaking of which, 200MB is a little small.

For Linux, you need at least two partitions, one for root and one
for swap, both of which you should format appropriately during the
Linux installation, using the Linux fdisk program.

Quote:> Since i couldn't access the Linux partition at all, i booted into windows 98
> ran partition magic and completely  formatted the linux partition.

Good idea.

Quote:> So i'm Going to have to start all over again but since i know absolutely
> nothing at all about Linux or how it operates, I dont know how  to do it right
> so that it will work correctly and be Bootable from the System Commander menu.

You may need to format the partitions FAT first, the add the root
partition to the System Cammander menu before you start the Linux
installation.  I don't know; I use Boot Manager rather than System
Cammander, and that's what I had to do.  (I now have Linux on a
computer by itself, but I used to have OS/2, Win95, and Linux
together.)

Using Partition Magic, you should create two partitions:  one for
Linux swap, about 30-40MB, and one for Linux root, at least 500MB
if you can re-size something else.  (Hey, why do you need all that
room for Windows?)  Format them FAT; they'll be reformatted later
anyway, at the beginning of your Linux installation.

Since you're starting from scratch, ditch Open Linux Lite and get
RedHat.  You'll be glad you did!
--
Bill Pridgen
--


 
 
 

Newbie To Linux Need Help Makeing It Boot.....PLEASE HELP

Post by Juha Mannine » Sun, 07 Jun 1998 04:00:00


Your text was looong. Anyway, do not create partitions for Linux In Windows. Remove
them with Win fdisk leaving empty space. Then go to Linux and use fdisk from there
to create partitions.

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download