Requiring Custom kernel to install Debian

Requiring Custom kernel to install Debian

Post by Aaron Daniel » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am installing debian 2.1 off a bootable CD but to see my hard disks I need to boot off a
custom kernel that has my raid controler compiled in which I have created on another debian
machine, is there a command I can type in at the Debian boot prompt to get it to load off my
kernel, I have tried boot=/dev/fd0 and that doesnt work.

also I can boot directly off my floppy which has my kernel on it but if I do that then I have no
root filesystem,

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
Aaron

Requiring Custom kernel to install Debian

Post by jkl.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Put lilo onto the floppy, put your kernel there and type at the prompt:
  linux root=/dev/<your CD-Rom device>

Post by Larry Ozaro » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I am installing debian 2.1 off a bootable CD but to see my hard disks I need to boot off a
> custom kernel that has my raid controler compiled in which I have created on another debian
> machine, is there a command I can type in at the Debian boot prompt to get it to load off my
> kernel, I have tried boot=/dev/fd0 and that doesnt work.

> also I can boot directly off my floppy which has my kernel on it but if I do that then I have no
> root filesystem,

> Any ideas are welcome.

> Thanks,
> Aaron

You can fix the last problem by using rdev to change your boot kernel's notion of where
the root system lives. My impression is that by default a compiled kernel has as its default root
location the location of the root partition at the time it's compiled. If you compiled the kernel
on another machine this would explain the problem. Do "man rdev" to see how to fix the kernel
image, then you can write it to floppy and boot.

Larry