Linux night-school classes??

Post by Christopher Grov » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi all;

Owing to the density of my skull I'm having trouble learning
linux as quickly as I'd like.   :-7

Does anyone know of any night school classes on Linux in the Ann
Arbor/Ypsilanti, MI to Detroit, MI area?  Or would classes in
Unix suffice?  Is the subject just too deep to be covered in "a"
class and therefore there would be no such thing, or would a
beginner class be likely?  I'm not into this enough to enter a
university program.  hehe

I think that a class would be just the thing for me as I don't
have enough self-discipline for self-tutorials.  Not it this area
anyway.  I've got redhat 6.0 up and running 'relatively' okay,
but I'm interested in networking, IP masquerading, TCP/IP etc.
Not the usual thing listed between "Basket Weaving-101" and "How
to get the most out of Print Shop Deluxe" in the local college
continuing ed calender.

Any other suggestions? (Besides "What does this have to do with
this NG?)

Thanks.

Christopher Grove

Linux night-school classes??

Post by Artur Swietanowsk » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Does anyone know of any night school classes on Linux in the Ann
> Arbor/Ypsilanti, MI to Detroit, MI area?  Or would classes in
> Unix suffice?

Classes in Unix are almost all you will ever need (if they are any
good, of course). Linux is Unix (and a damn good one). Unix systems
share a common approach to stating and solving problems. It is very
different from the Windows way, but very similar between Unices.

And while you're at it, I'd recommend books like
  AE. Frish "UNIX Essential System Administration" (I hope I got
  the title right -- the Amazon search will certainly find it)
and maybe
  Welsh, Kaufman "Running Linux".
Both may either help while you have the classes, or make the classes
altogether unnecessary.

Quote:> Is the subject just too deep to be covered in "a"
> class and therefore there would be no such thing, or would a
> beginner class be likely?

The subject (as any) can be given a deep or a superficial treatment.
The superficial treatment will tell you what keys to press in a
number of specific situations. By necessity, it'll concentrate on
some higher level tools (configuration, administration, everyday
use). The in depth teaching may actually enable you to deal with
anything. Take your pick.

Quote:> I've got redhat 6.0 up and running 'relatively' okay,
> but I'm interested in networking, IP masquerading, TCP/IP etc.

Definitely, the UNIX class will be (almost) no different w.r.t.
the important stuff, i.e. TCPIP. The specific tools' configuration
will have to be learnt separately, anyway.

And if you think you don't have enough self discipline for
self-teaching, try the HOWTO documents. Some are short enough to
be read in one go. You'll want things like:
  NET HOWTO (it has a number, like NET 3, NET 4 -- get the latest),
  Linux Networking HOWTO,
  Linux IP Masquerade HOWTO.
The solutions there are immediately applicable, so you may just sit
down and try thing you read about on a page or two (or two dozen).

Regards,
Artur Swietanowski               http://www.bigfoot.com/~swietanowski
Institut fr Statistik,  Operations Research  und  Computerverfahren,
Universit?t Wien,     Universit?tsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,     Austria
tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

Linux night-school classes??

Post by Wolfgang Viechtbaue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Does anyone know of any night school classes on Linux in the Ann
> Arbor/Ypsilanti, MI to Detroit, MI area?  Or would classes in
> Unix suffice?  Is the subject just too deep to be covered in "a"
> class and therefore there would be no such thing, or would a
> beginner class be likely?  I'm not into this enough to enter a
> university program.  hehe

If you can't find a class, you might want to look around and see if you
can find a Linux Users Group (LUG) in your area. Usually, they will give
presentations on various topics, including things like networking and
such.

linux.com has some resources on LUGs at http://www.linux.com/lug/ ...

-------------------------
Wolfgang Viechtbauer

Linux night-school classes??

Post by The Sogge » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> Does anyone know of any night school classes on Linux in the Ann
>> Arbor/Ypsilanti, MI to Detroit, MI area?  Or would classes in
>> Unix suffice?

>Classes in Unix are almost all you will ever need (if they are any
>good, of course). Linux is Unix (and a damn good one). Unix systems
>share a common approach to stating and solving problems. It is very
>different from the Windows way, but very similar between Unices.

>And while you're at it, I'd recommend books like
>  AE. Frish "UNIX Essential System Administration" (I hope I got
>  the title right -- the Amazon search will certainly find it)
>and maybe
>  Welsh, Kaufman "Running Linux".
>Both may either help while you have the classes, or make the classes
>altogether unnecessary.

[Snip]

Another great book for using UNIX is called "Unix for the impatient"  It's
been out for a while and unless they made a new edition it doesn't cover
Linux. However, it is great book for learning the basics of Unix.  It's
written at that oh so very rare middle level.  It's not for a complete
computer novice, but not a programmer
either.

Another source for computer reference books is Fatbrain
http://www.fatbrain.com They have a fair number of Linux books and you can
read reviews and excerts.  I had pretty good luck with them when it came to
service.