How to mount a floppy disk of DOS format?

How to mount a floppy disk of DOS format?

Post by Peter F. Curr » Sun, 12 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>mount a unix floppy disk is like this:
>mount /dev/fd0  /mnt
>But it is linux format. Can you tell me how to mount a DOS floppy disk?

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt -t msdos

You need msdos support in your kernel.

Also, you should try the "mtools" package which
lets you use MSDOS-like commands such as "mcopy",
"mdir", "mdel", etc.

--
     Peter F Curran
     Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Use address in Organization line, finger
for PGP key.  Antispaam test in progress.

How to mount a floppy disk of DOS format?

Post by Hugh McCur » Sun, 12 Oct 1997 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> mount a unix floppy disk is like this:
> mount /dev/fd0  /mnt
> But it is linux format. Can you tell me how to mount a DOS floppy disk?

Same command.

You do need to have DOS file system support in your kernel.

Mount will look at the device you are trying to mount and attempt to determine
the type (DOS, Linux Ext2fs, minix, ISO9660 <cdrom>, ...).
You can "help" mount with the -t option (read the man page for mount).

In addition to using mount, there are many "m" commands that can be used to
access a DOS filesystem.  Commands include mdir, mcopy, mformat (be careful).
For more information:

man mtools
man mount

--
Hugh McCurdy

Post by Henrik Storn » Mon, 13 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>mount a unix floppy disk is like this:
>mount /dev/fd0  /mnt
>But it is linux format. Can you tell me how to mount a DOS floppy disk?

mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt

(or "-t vfat" if you want to use Win95-style long filenames)

--
Henrik Storner                               http://www.image.dk/~storner/
"The POP3 server service depends on the SMTP server service, which