RedHat 5.1 & Adaptec AIC-7890 problem

Post by Tanti Ruwan » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi all...
I tried to install RedHat 5.1 from CDROM on a computer w/ an on-board SCSI
contoller (Adaptec AIC-7890), but the installation routine could not detect
the SCSI HD (Seagate ST34520W)  :-(
The hardware configuration is:
-Asus P2BS motherboard w/ a 300 MHz Pentium II
-64 MB RAM
-Adaptec AIC-7890 SCSI controller on the motherboard
-Seagate Medallist Pro (ST34520W) SCSI HD
-IDE CDROM

Help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
--TR

Post by Stee » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Hi all...
> I tried to install RedHat 5.1 from CDROM on a computer w/ an on-board SCSI
> contoller (Adaptec AIC-7890), but the installation routine could not detect
> the SCSI HD (Seagate ST34520W)  :-(
> The hardware configuration is:
> -Asus P2BS motherboard w/ a 300 MHz Pentium II
> -64 MB RAM
> -Adaptec AIC-7890 SCSI controller on the motherboard
> -Seagate Medallist Pro (ST34520W) SCSI HD
> -IDE CDROM

Been there, done that.  Go to ftp.redhat.com/pub/aic and look
around.  There's also a file called README_aic7xxx or something
like that that describes the process of getting the scsi
adapter recognised.  Basically you get the new boot and supp
images to diskette to initiate the install and after completing
the install, go through a whole ream of changes to install
a new kernel.  This ain't for the faint of heart.  The alternative
is to wait for the 2.0.36 kernel (which I hear includes these
drivers) or get an IDE drive in the interim.

Good Luck!

Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word
itself.  Mankind.  Basically it's mad up of two separate words -- "mank"
and "ind."  What do these words mean?  It's a mystery, and that's why so
is mankind.  -- Jack Handey

RedHat 5.1 & Adaptec AIC-7890 problem

Post by Thomas Gamb » Sat, 24 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi all...
> I tried to install RedHat 5.1 from CDROM on a computer w/ an on-board SCSI
> contoller (Adaptec AIC-7890), but the installation routine could not detect
> the SCSI HD (Seagate ST34520W)  :-(
> The hardware configuration is:
> -Asus P2BS motherboard w/ a 300 MHz Pentium II
> -64 MB RAM
> -Adaptec AIC-7890 SCSI controller on the motherboard
> -Seagate Medallist Pro (ST34520W) SCSI HD
> -IDE CDROM

> Help would be much appreciated.

I have had similar problems.  I have the dual cpu version of the same
board.  I managed to get the system installed by downloading the
installation boot.img file from ftp.redhat.com/pub/aic, but after
installing, the system won't boot.  The driver can't find the host
device anymore.  It doesn't make much sense unless, perhaps, the
installation routine installed the old version of the driver from the
cdrom rather than the new one on the boot disk.

I sent a description of the problem to the author of the driver and I
hope he has the time to respond.

Tom

Thomas K. Gamble

For PGP public key, send email
with the subject "Request PGP key"

1. AIC-7890 & Installing redhat 5.1

I'd like to install redhat 5.1, but I don't have the drivers for my scsi
controller card(AIC-7890), I tried someone else's boot image that they made,
but the supplement disk failed, I tried remaking it, but no luck. How am I
supposed to install linux if it can't see my HD's? Also all the rpm's are on
my fat32 partition, I have room if need be to make a fat16 and move the
rpm's over to that partition. Any ideas anyone?

Dan

2. Newbie Sound Question (Debian)

3. Help for RedHat & Adaptec AIC-7890 / 2940 U2W

4. Size of dynamically allocated memory?

5. Adaptec AIC-7890/60 and RedHat 5.2 boot/install solution

6. Strange Graphic Overlaps in 16,32 bit color depths

7. FreeBSD 2.2.7 & Adaptec AIC-7890

8. can't use device driver compiled with kernel...

9. install RED HAT 5.1 on P2B-DS with adaptec AIC 7890

10. Is the Adaptec AIC 7890 SCSI adapter compatible with Red Hat Linux 5.1?

11. install red hat 5.1 on asus P2B-DS with adaptec AIC 7890 Chips

12. 2.0.34 kernel/rh 5.1/AIC-7890 works?

13. Asus P2B-S motherboard with on-board Adaptec AIC-7890