Can't Post News, get "post failed 480 Transfer permission denied"

Can't Post News, get "post failed 480 Transfer permission denied"

Post by Patrick J. Chic » Thu, 21 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Aloha,

I have INN running to traffic a few dozen select newsgroups on a personal
machine. I can receive articles from my upstream host and presumably send
them back as well.

However, I cannot post articles via TIN, Netscape etc. When attempting to
post via Tin (remote, rtin), I receive a "441 Posting Failed" at the
interface with a "unix nnrpd[398]: unix.off-road.com post failed 480
Transfer permission denied" in the news log. When attempting to post via
Netscape, I see the 480 error via the Netscape interface and via the log.

nnrp.access covers all machines in the same class C as the news host.
TIN is being run from the same machine that acts as a news host.

I am running INN 1.4 that came with the Slack 3.0 dist, unaltered.

Anyone have clues?

--

    Patrick J. Chicas
 -------------------------

Can't Post News, get "post failed 480 Transfer permission denied"

Post by Brett Harriso » Sat, 23 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Aloha,

>I have INN running to traffic a few dozen select newsgroups on a personal
>machine. I can receive articles from my upstream host and presumably send
>them back as well.

>However, I cannot post articles via TIN, Netscape etc. When attempting to
>post via Tin (remote, rtin), I receive a "441 Posting Failed" at the
>interface with a "unix nnrpd[398]: unix.off-road.com post failed 480
>Transfer permission denied" in the news log. When attempting to post via
>Netscape, I see the 480 error via the Netscape interface and via the log.

>nnrp.access covers all machines in the same class C as the news host.
>TIN is being run from the same machine that acts as a news host.

>I am running INN 1.4 that came with the Slack 3.0 dist, unaltered.

>Anyone have clues?

>--

>    Patrick J. Chicas
> -------------------------
> http://www.aloha.net/~pjc

Patrick,
   When you connet as a 'reader' your connection is handed of to nnrpd.
If you then post an article nnrpd then must connect back to innd and
sends an IHAVE.  If you set HAVE_UNIX_DOMAIN to DON'T when you built INN,
innd tries to look up the machine it is running on in hosts.nntp when
nnrpd makes its connection.  If its not there you get the '480 Transfer
permission denied' message.  The easy solution is to just make an entry
for your machine in its own hosts.nntp file.  It will then accept posts
from itself(actually from nnrpd).  On my machine(Slackware distribution,
kernel 1.2.1) there is a pretty good explanation of all this in the file
'faq-inn-3'.  Hope this does you some good!

---
 Brett Harrison - Internet Solutions - Washington MO