Lazy Question: PPP turning it on and off by CRON job.

Lazy Question: PPP turning it on and off by CRON job.

Post by Michae » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi:

My ISP is giving me static about the fact that my modem is redialing 24x7.
They are telling me to knock if off.  Reasons for staying or going beside
the point, I want to know how to turn off the PPP and associated redial
(PPP-OFF works until redial timeout) and then turn it back on again.  I can
write a little in Perl which would be easiest.

I have spent a couple of hours working on this and frankly I have other
things to do, and I don't have time to think about this.  Any suggestions?
Either for an ISP or how to implement this.

Michael

Post by David . » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi:

> My ISP is giving me static about the fact that my modem is redialing 24x7.
> They are telling me to knock if off.  Reasons for staying or going beside
> the point, I want to know how to turn off the PPP and associated redial
> (PPP-OFF works until redial timeout) and then turn it back on again.  I can
> write a little in Perl which would be easiest.

> I have spent a couple of hours working on this and frankly I have other
> things to do, and I don't have time to think about this.  Any suggestions?
> Either for an ISP or how to implement this.

> Michael

In redhat you can disable it with the Dialup Configuration tool.

Or check in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0
And change the  "PERSIST=yes" line to "no"

ID # 123538

1. How to turn off cron mail?

I start some programs from crontab. (as user and as root)
(I receive the mails also that were sent to root).

How can I turn off mails that cron sends to me?

--
GYULAI Mihaly
http://gyulai.freeyellow.com

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. strange error:

3. Turning off Job Control in ksh

4. more problems

5. Cron jobs that happen while machine off

6. How to monitor online status?

7. Turning off ppp noise from modem?

8. Wyse WY-60 and SuSE Linux 6.3

9. Turning PPP off

10. Turning off precompression1 in PPP from Solaris 2.5

11. morningstar PPP -- turn off PAP??

12. Turn PPP off and on at certain time

13. How can I turn off "tun"ed ppp connection?