boot disk crc error

Post by Bill Leac » Sat, 24 May 1997 04:00:00

> > I'm trying to install RedHat Linux 4.1 (Kernel 2.0.27) on a 486
> > DX4/100 and I keep getting CRC errors when uncompressing Linux
> > from the boot floppy. ...
> I originally wrote this as a reply to a different message, but was
> unable to post it, so I'm posting here since it seems somewhat
> relevant.

> % > Hi Linuxers,
> % > does anybody out there have any idea, why my Linux doesn't boot
> % > anymore since I have replaced my old 90Mhz Pentium Processor with
> % > a 166Mhz one ?
> % > The installed kernel 2.0.18 reports the following error:
> % > ...
> I got the same error after repeatedly reinstalling my system.  I had
> some unresolvable problems with my setup and so decided to reinstall.
> After reinstallation, Linux couldn't read the dos partition --- gave
> some error about an unrecognizable file system type even though the
> fstab was correct.  It also couldn't (and still can't) read the cdrom
> couple more times, I tried to boot Linux and got the above crc error.
> Darrell

I am not a Linux OR PC expert but...
A whole bunch of things might be involved in these problems.
With respect to the HD;  The BIOS mode of accessing the HD can be
changed and linux will deal with it but DOS will not.

It is not all that hard to have incompatible "pieces" when
"re-installing" with lilo being one of those pieces that is real easy to
forget about.

It is even possible to "upgrade" and end up with lilo booting the old
kernel (not necessarily easy mind you but it CAN be done -- probably
easier accidently than on purpose).

As to the cdrom; Once the installation is complete you must have the
correct entry in /etc/fstab AND for most instaltions, explicitely mount
the cdrom (I don't know how familiar you are with Linux/Unix).

DOS is REAL picky which is why most experts recommend setting up the DOS
partion with DOS FDISK.  Once DOS is running and understands it's own
partions then you install Linux (although it is really lilo that has to
be installed after DOS is set up).

-bill

1. Please Help! Slackware Boot Disk CRC Error

: I have InfoMagic's Aug 95 Linux CD set, and am trying to install
: Slackware.  I have a Mitsumi CD-ROM, so am using the Mitsumi
: boot disk image.  When I try to boot with the disk (which I have
: recreated several times without errors), it runs for awhile and then
: gives me the following message:

: boot:
: Uncompressing Linux... large kernel, low 1M tight...

: crc error

:   -- System halted

: Does anyone have ideas as to why I am getting this message and what
: I can do to get rid of it?  Any comments are appreciated.

reformat the floppy drive ON THE MACHINE that will read it afterwards. Then copy the contents on it again.
That usually fixes it for me.

 Christoph Lameter            FTS Box 466, Pasadena, CA 91182
 Internet Administrator       Who is like Jesus... who is like God...?

2. PPP and ISDN = True?

3. boot disk crc error

4. threads, sockets, and libmapmalloc

5. Won't boot from boot disk - "crc error"

6. Create Files w/date included in filename?

7. Install Error: Boot Disk Gives crc error

8. Problems upgrading to 2.2.6: dip, X, glib

9. Booting from SLS1.03 -> crc error, from HLU boot/root is ok?

10. Slack96 boot: "block move error 0x01", CRC error

11. Linux boot error "crc error, system halted"

12. CRC erros on boot disk

13. How do I fix a SCSI disk CRC error?