Red Hat 5.1 doesn't show in Boot Manager

Post by Roger Troo » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> I installed Red Hat 5.1 last night as my third OS on a 5.7 Gig drive.  Win
> 95B (OSR 2.1) and Win 3.11 were co-existing happily on the primary partition
> of this drive with Partition Magic 3.04 and Boot Manager.  W95 takes up the
> first 503 MB of the 1 GB primary partition, followed by 7 MB for Boot
> Manager, 252 MB for Win 3.11, and approx 200 MB free for the Linux root
> partition.
> The free space in the extended partition intended for linux, approx 1.2 MB,
> was divided in four partitions, root, /usr, /stuff, and swap.  Installation
> went OK,  and the LILO option selected was to put it in Boot Manager.

Just to make sure, your partitions are:

primary 1: 1 Gb   Win95
primary 2: 7 Mb   Boot Manager
primary 3: 252 Mb Win31/DOS
free     : 200 Mb Linux / ???

extended:
logical 1: 200 Mb Linux / ???
logical 2: xx Mb  Linux /usr
logical 3: xx Mb  Linux /stuff
logical 4: xx Mb  Linux swap

You named your Linux root (/) partition twice. Where is it supposed to
be?

Which boot manager do you use: OS/2 BM, BootMagic,...?

If you plan to use the 200 Mb free space before the extended
partition, you have to shift it into the extended partition since you
have already reached the limit of 3 primary partitions and one
extended. Therefore, a new primary partition cannot be made in the 200
Mb free space.

Quote:> On re-boot Linux did not show up on the Boot Manager menu,

Depending on what BM you use you have to add the partition containing
the Linux root (/) to the BM menu yourself and before installation of
Linux. Also you have to put lilo in the boot record of the logical
drive containing Linux root (/), NOT in the MBR.

Quote:> so I booted Linux from diskette, which promptly announced that there was a virus
> on my hard drive (Linux/Boot Manager on MBR?)  By ignoring this message I was able
> to load Linux and make my first attempts at doing something in it.

I believe some BIOS virus checks react like that to lilo's code. Turn
off this option in your bios.

Quote:> Question is, why didn't Linux recognize the 200 MB of free space in the
> primary partition that I had set aside for the root directory?

See above: you have reached the limit = 3 primaries + 1 extended.

Quote:> Also, is there a way to get Linux to show up in the Boot Manager menu, and/or to move
> the root directory from the extended hard disc partition to its intended free
> space on the primary partition?

Include the free space in the extended partition. Linux does not need
a primary partition to boot from.

Make the logical disks as FAT partitions. Add the first to the boot
manager menu. Install Linux, putting Linux root (/) on that first
logical disk. Also, make sure lilo is installed into the boot record
of the partition containing Linux root (/), NOT the MBR.

I hope this helps you out.

Yours sincerely,

  _     ___

/ \oger /roost [ Member of Team OS/2, HUGO ]

1. Red Hat 5.1 and OS/2 Boot Manager

Hi all

I have just obtained a copy of Red Hat 5.1 on a
single CD, and I have created my boot disk. I
have OS/2 Boot Manager installed, with Win95,
NT, and OS/2 Warp installed. When I installed
the boot manager, I created an extra partition for
the time when I get brave enough to install Linux.
Now I am nearly brave enough, I would like to
know one thing - will Red Hat install onto this
extra partition with no problems, or do I still need
to do something with  LILO? I am anxious to ascertain
that RH will not tamper with by boot manager, and
will just politely do stuff on its own assigned partition
only.

Thanks for any info or tips.

Best regards, The Chief
--------
Dr. Abimbola A. Olowofoyeku (The African Chief)

Homepage: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/African_Chief/
Author of: Chief's Installer Pro v4.51 for Win16 and Win32:
ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/ibmpc/win3/apps/chief/pro/chief451.zip

2. Red Hat 5.0 & Netscape 4.04: Netscape out of memory error?

3. Red Hat 5.1 installation won't boot off Hard Drive?

4. Good firewall material?

5. Red Hat 5.1 can't create boot disk

6. Help! Perl association with Redhat Linux and Apache

7. Red Hat 5.0 vs. Red Hat 5.1

8. Child catching with wait3()

9. Why doesn't Red Hat show dir colors like Slackware?

10. Red Hat 5.1 and windows managers

11. Q: Red Hat 5.1 Linux - 'C' math problem

12. Red Hat 6.0 doesn't boot!

13. Booting Red Hat 5.1 from a Jaz disk