dial-up problems via PPP

Post by The Good Gu » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hello,
    Not too long ago I successfully installed RedHat Linux 5.1... which
comes with kernel 2.0.34. I am having problems setting up an internet
connection through PPP. Now, I have HAD this exact same copy of Linux on
the machine before with an internet connection running fine (through
Minicom and PPPD) but I deleted Linux and now decided to reinstall it.
    I cannot connect to the internet. At first I tried using Minicom and
PPPD like i always have before but noticed PPPD was generating an error
message because there was no PPP kernel support, so I sucessfully
recompiled the kernel.
    Still Minicom doesn't work. no more error messages but it just
dials, asks for login and password but it won't connect. I pick up the
phone to find a dial tone.

I also tried configuring the /etc/ppp/ppp-on script and its components
to function but when I run it it justs makes the modem click (I guess
like an ATZ command). That's it, it won't even dial. it just quits. I
tried to get it to log the messages to the system log but the paths it
wanted didn't exist so I stopped bothering with it.
    What can i do? No error messages, it just won't even dial!! My modem
is a SupraExpress 288i PnP. Even though it is a PnP it HAS worked
perfectly before!

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

Thanks,

Bart Trzynadlowski

dial-up problems via PPP

Post by Peter Rodrigue » Thu, 22 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I had a similar problem with re-configuring PPP. I
found that it was solved by using PAP then editing
the chat-ppp script to remove the last ".
--
Peter Rodriguez
136, Kolmar Road, Papatoetoe, Auckland

dial-up problems via PPP

Post by Bill Unr » Thu, 22 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Use the step by step instructions in
 http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html
to get yourself connected. Using minicom is certainly not a very good
way.

Quote:>Hello,
>    Not too long ago I successfully installed RedHat Linux 5.1... which
>comes with kernel 2.0.34. I am having problems setting up an internet
>connection through PPP. Now, I have HAD this exact same copy of Linux on
>the machine before with an internet connection running fine (through
>Minicom and PPPD) but I deleted Linux and now decided to reinstall it.
>    I cannot connect to the internet. At first I tried using Minicom and
>PPPD like i always have before but noticed PPPD was generating an error
>message because there was no PPP kernel support, so I sucessfully
>recompiled the kernel.
>    Still Minicom doesn't work. no more error messages but it just
>dials, asks for login and password but it won't connect. I pick up the
>phone to find a dial tone.
>I also tried configuring the /etc/ppp/ppp-on script and its components
>to function but when I run it it justs makes the modem click (I guess
>like an ATZ command). That's it, it won't even dial. it just quits. I
>tried to get it to log the messages to the system log but the paths it
>wanted didn't exist so I stopped bothering with it.
>    What can i do? No error messages, it just won't even dial!! My modem
>is a SupraExpress 288i PnP. Even though it is a PnP it HAS worked
>perfectly before!
>Any help would be much appreciated! :)
>Thanks,
>Bart Trzynadlowski

dial-up problems via PPP

Post by XsAndO » Thu, 22 Apr 1999 04:00:00

It may be that the PNP is the problem. If there are jumpers on the modem try
hardware setting the modem to an open com port and irq. This fixed my modem
response problem on a pnp zoom modem.

>Hello,
>    Not too long ago I successfully installed RedHat Linux 5.1... which
>comes with kernel 2.0.34. I am having problems setting up an internet
>connection through PPP. Now, I have HAD this exact same copy of Linux on
>the machine before with an internet connection running fine (through
>Minicom and PPPD) but I deleted Linux and now decided to reinstall it.
>    I cannot connect to the internet. At first I tried using Minicom and
>PPPD like i always have before but noticed PPPD was generating an error
>message because there was no PPP kernel support, so I sucessfully
>recompiled the kernel.
>    Still Minicom doesn't work. no more error messages but it just
>dials, asks for login and password but it won't connect. I pick up the
>phone to find a dial tone.

>I also tried configuring the /etc/ppp/ppp-on script and its components
>to function but when I run it it justs makes the modem click (I guess
>like an ATZ command). That's it, it won't even dial. it just quits. I
>tried to get it to log the messages to the system log but the paths it
>wanted didn't exist so I stopped bothering with it.
>    What can i do? No error messages, it just won't even dial!! My modem
>is a SupraExpress 288i PnP. Even though it is a PnP it HAS worked
>perfectly before!

>Any help would be much appreciated! :)

>Thanks,

>Bart Trzynadlowski

dial-up problems via PPP

Post by Thomas H. Smit » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Try checking out; http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

>It may be that the PNP is the problem. If there are jumpers on the modem
try
>hardware setting the modem to an open com port and irq. This fixed my modem
>response problem on a pnp zoom modem.

>>Hello,
>>    Not too long ago I successfully installed RedHat Linux 5.1... which
>>comes with kernel 2.0.34. I am having problems setting up an internet
>>connection through PPP. Now, I have HAD this exact same copy of Linux on

1. 2.3 -> 2.7 via Dial-up (Re: CVS over 'dropping' dial-ups)

You are better off borrowing/buying/stealing a CD and loading a fresh 2.7
install.
From what I've heard, there are issues with upgrading via CVS.  Plus, it's
_SLOW_.
Trust me. If you don't have the cash (US $30, I believe) you could probably
ask
somebody to copy their 2.7 CD for you (hint,hint).  Of course, buying the CD
makes
OBSD 2.8 and higher a possibility, which is a Good Thing.

Good luck.

2. hard links: how to tell with system call under BSD4.3?

3. Linux as dial-up ppp server for Win95 dial-up problem

4. ppp again (and again...)

5. CompuServe PPP dial-up via RedHat 4.0?

6. help system goes to never never land

7. PPP difficulties with win95 dialing to linux via ppp.

8. Thanks Marvin Wu of SWT ....

9. full lock-ups accessing some Internet sites via ppp?

10. HOWTO: becoming a dial-up PPP server, enabling PPP login?

11. Can a solaris w/s be configured for PPP dial-out AND PPP dial-in?

12. dial-up, ppp, kernel problems~ NEWBIE

13. PPP Dial-up problem. Please help!