Digital HiNote 2000 & Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 Setup

Digital HiNote 2000 & Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 Setup

Post by inter.. » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

Greetings,

I was able to get Caldera's OpenLinux 2.2 installed last night on my
Digital HiNote 2000 P233MMX notebook succesfully from cdrom boot except
for the following things:

1) Notebook power management feature
2) Sound card
3) Xircom Combo Ethernet + 56K modem (I am not going to network so I
didnt select ethernet support in the install, I just
need to get the modem working)

I suppose I could install the ethernet drivers and just not hook it up
to a network, but I didnt know if this would "hang" the system because
a live network couldn't be found during bootup.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
George

Post by joec.. » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

> Greetings,

> I was able to get Caldera's OpenLinux 2.2 installed last night on my
> Digital HiNote 2000 P233MMX notebook succesfully from cdrom boot
except
> for the following things:

> 1) Notebook power management feature
> 2) Sound card
> 3) Xircom Combo Ethernet + 56K modem (I am not going to network so I
> didnt select ethernet support in the install, I just
> need to get the modem working)

I had to reinstall using the LISA floppies in order to get this working
(on a Dell, but its the PCMCIA that is the problem). The errata (which
of course I only read later :-) points this out. You may also need to
change your modem away from dev/modem to TTSY3 (caps?), I did. I
found this out by looking at the kppp error log, which was very helpful.
I don't know if PCMCIA can be installed later by building a new kernel
or something, I'm too much of a newbie to work out how to do that at the
moment. I have got the modem working now though.
The downside is that KDE now now longer boots on startup, so I'll have
to figure that out as well. Presumably there is a startup file somewhere
I add the line 'KDE' into?
There is also a file that needs to be edited (its on the faq on the
caldera site) to get X running. note that the faq appears to be wrong,
it refers to 'home' at one point, when I think it should be $home. At
least, I got errors with home, and it worked with $home  :-)

Quote:> I suppose I could install the ethernet drivers and just not hook it up
> to a network, but I didnt know if this would "hang" the system because
> a live network couldn't be found during bootup.

> Any help would be appreciated.

> Thanks
> George

Joe
-----------------------------------
Email = joecitt AT hotmail DOT com

Digital HiNote 2000 & Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 Setup

Post by inter.. » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

The problem with the digital hinote is that you can only use one device
at a time, either the floppy or cdrom, but not both. I couldnt get the
LISA floppy boot creation program to work off cdrom. When it prompted
for the floppy drive, I would swap it out and the system would detect
the new floppy, but the install program gives an error saying that
drive A: is not a floppy device.

George

> > Greetings,

> > I was able to get Caldera's OpenLinux 2.2 installed last night on my
> > Digital HiNote 2000 P233MMX notebook succesfully from cdrom boot
> except
> > for the following things:

> > 1) Notebook power management feature
> > 2) Sound card
> > 3) Xircom Combo Ethernet + 56K modem (I am not going to network so I
> > didnt select ethernet support in the install, I just
> > need to get the modem working)
> I had to reinstall using the LISA floppies in order to get this
working
> (on a Dell, but its the PCMCIA that is the problem). The errata (which
> of course I only read later :-) points this out. You may also need to
> change your modem away from dev/modem to TTSY3 (caps?), I did. I
> found this out by looking at the kppp error log, which was very
helpful.
> I don't know if PCMCIA can be installed later by building a new kernel
> or something, I'm too much of a newbie to work out how to do that at
the
> moment. I have got the modem working now though.
> The downside is that KDE now now longer boots on startup, so I'll have
> to figure that out as well. Presumably there is a startup file
somewhere
> I add the line 'KDE' into?
> There is also a file that needs to be edited (its on the faq on the
> caldera site) to get X running. note that the faq appears to be wrong,
> it refers to 'home' at one point, when I think it should be $home. At
> least, I got errors with home, and it worked with $home  :-)
> > I suppose I could install the ethernet drivers and just not hook it
up
> > to a network, but I didnt know if this would "hang" the system
because
> > a live network couldn't be found during bootup.

> > Any help would be appreciated.

> > Thanks
> > George

> > --== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==--
> > ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.---

> --
> Joe
> -----------------------------------
> Email = joecitt AT hotmail DOT com

INTERWEB Computer Solutions, Inc.

1. 3dfx Voodoo3 2000 w/ Caldera OpenLinux 2.2

I've been having some troubles configuring my Voodoo3 2000 AGP to run in
Caldera OpenLinux 2.2, and I was hoping someone here could lend a helping
hand.  I've downloaded all of the appropriate RPMS from the xxxglidexxx
site (the Device RPM, Glide RPM, XF86Setup RPM, Rush RPM, and X Server
RPM), yet I am having problems installing them with kpackage.  I can
install the Device RPM, the Rush RPM and the X Server RPM, but when it
comes to the XF86Setup update, I am getting failed dependencies errors.
The filenames being returned are "libtcl.so" and "libtk.so."  Here comes
the cute part: these files are "somewhat" installed in the /usr/lib (I
think) directory.  I say "somewhat" because these two files are shortcuts
pointing to newer versions of tickle and company (namely,
libtcl.8.0.4.so,etc. [I think, again]).  Since Caldera OpenLinux obviously
uses a different version of tickle than the 3dfx drivers were created for,
I need help.  If anyone here knows of a workaround, it would be greatly
appreciated.  Many thanks.

-Paul Ryan

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

2. t3 please respond

3. Network on Digital HiNote 2000

4. oO~~ solaris 8 installation ~~ Oo

5. Announcing CodeSurfer 1.6 - now available for Linux!!!

6. Anyone have experience with Redhat on Digital HiNote Ultra 2000?

7. LPR help

8. Linux/XFree on Digital HiNote Ultra 2000 and Hitachi Visionbook Elite

9. Help \w digital hinote 2000 XF86Config?

10. Laptop DIGITAL HiNote Ultra 2000

11. floppy / 2.0.35 / Digital Hinote Ultra 2000 : unexpected interrupt

12. Has Anyone Had Any Success with Solaris 7 on a Digital Hinote Ultra 2000?