rh 6.2 and ATAPI cdrw (hp 9300), how to get scsi emulation to work

rh 6.2 and ATAPI cdrw (hp 9300), how to get scsi emulation to work

Post by dan » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 04:10:03

does redhat 6.2 come with scsi emulation support ?
how do you tell if you have scsi emulation support (or any other feature
for that matter) in a kernel ?
how do i get cdrecord 1.9 to see this drive ?
i tried typing the following at the lilo boot prompt:

linux hdc=ide-scsi

(the drive is the secondary master)

thanks for any help,
dan

Post by John Foste » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 11:45:29

> >does redhat 6.2 come with scsi emulation support ?

   [ ... ]

Quote:

> try from the (root) prompt
> load the module for ide-scsi support:
>         modprobe ide-scsi
> load the module for generic scsi cd support:
>         modprobe sr_mod

I found this thread (thanks!) while trying to solve the same problem.
The CD-Writing HOWTO mentions these modules too, but on my system
(RH6.2) modprobe is unable to find a module sr_mod. Trying 'locate
sr_mod' yields nothing.

Where can I find sr_mod?

TIA

John Foster

Post by John Foste » Sun, 07 Jan 2001 06:25:36

>  [re modules ide-scsi and sr_mod]
> The CD-Writing HOWTO mentions these modules too, but on my system
> (RH6.2) modprobe is unable to find a module sr_mod. Trying 'locate
> sr_mod' yields nothing.

> Where can I find sr_mod?

and in response I had an email from Jason Byrne, pointing me to his web
page at
http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~jbyrne/linux.htm
with various tips including CD-burning. It's very quickly got me up and
recording, so I pass it on here.

Thanks, Jason!

John

Post by Claude Vaillancour » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 11:58:40

> >  [re modules ide-scsi and sr_mod]
> > The CD-Writing HOWTO mentions these modules too, but on my system
> > (RH6.2) modprobe is unable to find a module sr_mod. Trying 'locate
> > sr_mod' yields nothing.

> > Where can I find sr_mod?

> and in response I had an email from Jason Byrne, pointing me to his web
> page at
> http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~jbyrne/linux.htm
> with various tips including CD-burning. It's very quickly got me up and
> recording, so I pass it on here.

> Thanks, Jason!

> John

I have the same problem with RH7, that link says nothing about sr_mod. I
followed those instructions carefully, now cdrecord -scanbus reports ok

Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 J?rg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 2.1.38
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
scsibus0:
 0,0,0   0) 'MATSHITA' 'CD-ROM CR-586   ' 'KS15' Removable CD-ROM
 0,1,0   1) 'HP      ' 'CD-Writer+ 8200 ' '1.0f' Removable CD-ROM

Problem, my matshita is a cd reader, and I can't mount it anymore.  Same
for the CD-Writer.

for cd-writer it says:

mount: block device /dev/cdrom1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom1,
       or too many mounted file systems

and for the matshita:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
       or too many mounted file systems

I've set the link for cdrom1 to /dev/scd1

Any idea.....
Do I have to rebuild the kernel like?
I don't have sr_mod preinstalled, is it really required?

By the way, it worked directly after the install with my previous Mandrake
7.0 installation.

Thanks!

rh 6.2 and ATAPI cdrw (hp 9300), how to get scsi emulation to work

Post by John Foste » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 11:42:29

I've now found a similar problem (to the one quoted below): my IDE ZIP
drive doesn't work after the mods, and the messages I get are like the
ones in the quote (including the fact that the ZIP drive gets listed as
the first in the list from cdrecord -scanbus).

If I remove the line
        /sbin/modprobe ide-scsi
from /etc/rc.d/rc.local (and reboot)
then the ZIP drive works fine again but of course the CD-RW doesn't.

My guess is that what's happening is that ide-scsi is coming in and
grabbing all the devices it can see that haven't been claimed yet, but
that allowing it to do that within /etc/rc.d/rc.local lets it do its
work too early.

What does work (for me) is to leave the modprobe line out from
/etc/rc.d/rc.local and then enter it manually after the machine has
booted. I'd like not to have to do that, though, so does anyone know
where the "best" place would be to put the modprobe command?

John Foster

> I have the same problem with RH7, that link says nothing about sr_mod. I
> followed those instructions carefully, now cdrecord -scanbus reports ok

> Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 J?rg Schilling
> Linux sg driver version: 2.1.38
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
> scsibus0:
>  0,0,0   0) 'MATSHITA' 'CD-ROM CR-586   ' 'KS15' Removable CD-ROM
>  0,1,0   1) 'HP      ' 'CD-Writer+ 8200 ' '1.0f' Removable CD-ROM

> Problem, my matshita is a cd reader, and I can't mount it anymore.  Same
> for the CD-Writer.

> for cd-writer it says:

> mount: block device /dev/cdrom1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom1,
>        or too many mounted file systems

> and for the matshita:

> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
>        or too many mounted file systems

rh 6.2 and ATAPI cdrw (hp 9300), how to get scsi emulation to work

Post by Claude Vaillancour » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:06:02

After digging the newsgroup, I found a reference to this Linux Gazette
article:

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue57/stoddard.html

With a lot of experimentation, I managed to make it work perfectly for me.
Hope it can help you too!

I leave the "/sbin/modprobe ide-scsi" in the rc.local script file but add
these lines to the /etc/modules.conf file
(Note that the article state /sbin/insmod, I'm not sure if it does the same
with these parameters)

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1
alias usb-controller usb-uhci
alias eth0 ne
options ne io=0x220 irq=5
# added this for ide-scsi of my CD-RW on hdd
# and a regular cdrom on hdc
alias scd0 srmod
alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
options ide-scsi
options ide-cd ignore=hdd
# end

and most important, I modified my image section of lilo.conf as follow:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-22
     label=linux
     read-only
     root=/dev/hda2
     append="hdc=ide-cd hdd=ide-scsi"

and of course, run /sbin/lilo to apply changes and reboot.
Now, cdrecord -scanbus reports correctly and I can mount my regular CDROM.  I
havent tried to burn a cd yet but I'm confident it will work fine as it used
to work with my previous installation.

Thanks for your observations, it really helped me get on the right track.

> I've now found a similar problem (to the one quoted below): my IDE ZIP
> drive doesn't work after the mods, and the messages I get are like the
> ones in the quote (including the fact that the ZIP drive gets listed as
> the first in the list from cdrecord -scanbus).

> If I remove the line
>         /sbin/modprobe ide-scsi
> from /etc/rc.d/rc.local (and reboot)
> then the ZIP drive works fine again but of course the CD-RW doesn't.

> My guess is that what's happening is that ide-scsi is coming in and
> grabbing all the devices it can see that haven't been claimed yet, but
> that allowing it to do that within /etc/rc.d/rc.local lets it do its
> work too early.

> What does work (for me) is to leave the modprobe line out from
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local and then enter it manually after the machine has
> booted. I'd like not to have to do that, though, so does anyone know
> where the "best" place would be to put the modprobe command?

> John Foster

> > I have the same problem with RH7, that link says nothing about sr_mod. I
> > followed those instructions carefully, now cdrecord -scanbus reports ok

> > Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 J?rg Schilling
> > Linux sg driver version: 2.1.38
> > Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
> > scsibus0:
> >  0,0,0   0) 'MATSHITA' 'CD-ROM CR-586   ' 'KS15' Removable CD-ROM
> >  0,1,0   1) 'HP      ' 'CD-Writer+ 8200 ' '1.0f' Removable CD-ROM

> > Problem, my matshita is a cd reader, and I can't mount it anymore.  Same
> > for the CD-Writer.

> > for cd-writer it says:

> > mount: block device /dev/cdrom1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom1,
> >        or too many mounted file systems

> > and for the matshita:

> > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
> >        or too many mounted file systems

1. IDE CDRW SCSI Emulation set up under Red Hat 6.2

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, so please excuse me if I
upset anyone by asking stupid questions. I have a HP CDRW on my box
and I successfuly set it up (recompiled the Kernel and all that, no
biggie), I type cdrecord -scanbus and all is there. I'm using XCDRoast
to burn my CD's and I've been having some problems. I'm able to write
CDR's and when I fixate them, I'm able to mount it and read the CD I
just fixated and all, however, my problem is that when I try to writte
to my CD RW I can't see what's on my CD RW when I writte to it. I try
to mount it and it won't mount, it says wrong file system or something
on that order. Any ideas anyone? I really appreciate any help....

Linuxguy

2. Error on exiting X windows

3. ATAPI/SCSI emulation for CD/CDR/CDRW questions

4. package to set up university timetables ?

5. HP CD Writer and Red Hat 6.2, CDR works fine, CDRW doesn't ....

6. HELP PLEASE, NE2000 Problems!

7. atapi-scsi emulation with CDRW?

8. Routes problem on AIX

9. SCSI emulation for HP 9100 CDRW?

10. Cogent em110tx-pci in an HP vectra VL 5/133 and RH 6.2 not working!!

11. Device Drivers for HP CD-writer Plus 9300 series

12. Help getting HP SureStore Tape 6000 working under Redhat 6.2

13. ATAPI Tape (HP) using SCSI Emulation?