ext2 filesystem problems

Post by David Graham Arno » Sat, 19 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Deep breath.

Okay, the first problem is this :

VFS : mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly

Where the machine just hangs.  Consulting the trusty Linux faq, it says
to run e2fsck -av /dev/hda3 on the partition.

I use a boot disk to load, with /dev/hda3 in the fstab and mtab files.
umount /dev/hda3 and ...

% e2fsck -av /dev/hda3
0 bad blocks found

I mount the partition again with a 'mount -t ext2 /dev/hda3 /mnt', then
I cleanly reboot the system (with a bit of fiddling with symlinks), but
the problem persists.  Disks sync here, so I'm assuming that it's not
that problem.

If I view man pages after checking /dev/hda3 and mounting it, I get a
whole bunch of errors relating to the filesystem 'system error 2' etc.

An interesting thing : I can get to /dev/hda3 by specifying
mount root=/dev/hda3 as an option to the boot disk.  If I run e2fsck
from there on the boot disk, I get a superblock corrupt error.  Try
different superblocks, still get the message.

David

1. ext2 filesystem problem

My filesystem started having having kernel panics and jumping out to
read-only mode while in use(after being in read-write) and now, a week
later the filesystem will not even mount read-write.  I get to the
filesystem check during boot, it fails and dumps me out to a "repair
filesystem" prompt, with the filesystem mounted read only.
I have tried running e2fsck  -c manually and get nowhere, the output is
usually something like this:

end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03, sector 3014697
Error reading block 1507348 (Attempt to read block from filesystem
resulted in short read) while doing inode scan.
e2fsck: Can't read next inode while doing inode scan

I then try a dumpe2fs to attempt to use another superblock and get this:

hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error
hda: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=5613892,
sector=3375124
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03, sector 3375124
dumpe2fs: Can't read an block bitmap while trying to read the bitmaps

I was hoping to be able to recover from this error, but don't see an
obvious fix, does anyone have any ideas?  Hardware:  Western Digital 3.2

gig IDE drive.

Thanks in advance
-Matt

--

2. pump dont work because the vandals stole the handle

3. new ext2 filesystem problem

4. Who can explain this audit log

5. Welcome to comp.unix.shell [Frequent posting]

6. ext2 filesystem problems...

7. Using apt-get and authentication

8. Repetitive ext2 filesystem problems..

9. EXT2 Filesystem Problem: Free blocks count corrupted for block group ##

10. How come I can't mount an ext2 filesystem as ext2?

11. Problem with 2nd SCSI drive and ext2 filesystem (oops)

12. Problem with ext2 filesystem