XFree86 4.1, RH 7.0, "extract" is not executable.

Post by Randy Crawfor » Sat, 30 Jun 2001 15:22:38

I'm trying to install XFree86 4.1 on RedHat 7.0, and after downloading
all the tgz files, I try to run Xinstall.sh, and I find that "extract"
for glibc2.1 will not execute.

So I picked up every version there is for extract, glibc20, glibc21,
glibc22, libc5, and NONE of them will execute.  Each one produces:

# ./extract
./extract: Permission denied.

I've tried "chmod 755 extract".  I've tried using ldd (which only works if
the executable executes.  I've done everyhing but setuid root to make the
utility execute.  VERY weird.

What am I doing wrong?  Can every version of extract at www.xfree86.org
really be broken?  Is the fix to compile the code myself?  Or go get a
copy of "extract" from an older version of XFree86?  Or is that just
asking for trouble?

Thanks,

    Randy

--
Randy Crawford

http://www.engin.umich.edu/labs/cpc
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~crwfrd

XFree86 4.1, RH 7.0, "extract" is not executable.

Post by Riyaz Mansoo » Sat, 30 Jun 2001 15:40:01

try downloading extract.exe.

riyaz

Post by Rasmus B?g Hanse » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 05:46:12

> I'm trying to install XFree86 4.1 on RedHat 7.0, and after downloading
> all the tgz files, I try to run Xinstall.sh, and I find that "extract"
> for glibc2.1 will not execute.

You should download the glibc22 files. Glibc on RH7.0 is actually one of
the last beta's of glibc 2.2. And you should also install the glibc
update.

Rasmus

--
-- [ Rasmus 'M?ffe' B?g Hansen ] --------------------------------------
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign

XFree86 4.1, RH 7.0, "extract" is not executable.

Post by Koichi Plopsk » Wed, 04 Jul 2001 19:31:55

Quote:> I'm trying to install XFree86 4.1 on RedHat 7.0, and after downloading
> all the tgz files, I try to run Xinstall.sh, and I find that "extract"
> for glibc2.1 will not execute.

> So I picked up every version there is for extract, glibc20, glibc21,
> glibc22, libc5, and NONE of them will execute.  Each one produces:

> # ./extract
> ./extract: Permission denied.

> I've tried "chmod 755 extract".  I've tried using ldd (which only works if
> the executable executes.  I've done everyhing but setuid root to make the
> utility execute.  VERY weird.

> What am I doing wrong?  Can every version of extract at www.xfree86.org
> really be broken?  Is the fix to compile the code myself?  Or go get a
> copy of "extract" from an older version of XFree86?  Or is that just
> asking for trouble?

When you decompress the .tgz files, you should have the file called
"Install", it says:
    Some web browsers have a problem downloading the extract utility cor-
    rectly.  If you encounter this problem, download the version called
   extract.exe instead.  This shuld fix the problem.  (This is not a
   DOS/Windows executable.)

XFree86 4.1, RH 7.0, "extract" is not executable.

Post by Thomas Porte » Fri, 06 Jul 2001 08:37:50

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001 22:46:12 +0200, Rasmus B?g Hansen

>> I'm trying to install XFree86 4.1 on RedHat 7.0, and after downloading
>> all the tgz files, I try to run Xinstall.sh, and I find that "extract"
>> for glibc2.1 will not execute.

>You should download the glibc22 files. Glibc on RH7.0 is actually one of
>the last beta's of glibc 2.2. And you should also install the glibc
>update.

>Rasmus

If that doesn't work, d/l extract.exe and rename it.  Sometimes
browsers don't like extract

Post by Rasmus B?g Hanse » Fri, 06 Jul 2001 17:57:39

> On Fri, 29 Jun 2001 22:46:12 +0200, Rasmus B?g Hansen

> >> I'm trying to install XFree86 4.1 on RedHat 7.0, and after downloading
> >> all the tgz files, I try to run Xinstall.sh, and I find that "extract"
> >> for glibc2.1 will not execute.

> >You should download the glibc22 files. Glibc on RH7.0 is actually one of
> >the last beta's of glibc 2.2. And you should also install the glibc
> >update.
> If that doesn't work, d/l extract.exe and rename it.  Sometimes
> browsers don't like extract

Yes. To be sure, download with an ftp client and be sure to set binary
mode.

(you can check what filetype it is with 'file extract' - it should tell
you something like: "ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1,
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped").

Rasmus

--
I'm a bastard. I have absolutely no clue why people can ever think