Partition Again -pl. help!

Post by Karthi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

I have two harddisks, primary is 2GB with NT, secondary is 6GB
partitioned into two partitions of equal size each. On the
secondary partition is linux, which I want to re-install.

1. I have partition Magic, can I use it to allocate 5GB for linux and
1Gb
for windows in the second disk without loosing data?

2. I propose to partition as follows:
/
/home
/boot
/usr
/tmp
swap
(Any more! pl recommend..)
But I understand that there can be just four partitions. How does one do
extended and logical partitioning? Does Partition Magic (v3.0) take care
of
all these stuff......

(When done during installation,how  to name these partitions and do
it..)

4. Should I make symbollic links. If so, to which directors and when to
do
it.. ( /opt to /usr/opt)
BTW: I have a RH6.1

5. Does these directories auto mount....!
6. What is the recommended size allotment for these
partitions mentioned above?

I have a 32MB ram, pentium 166 machine with NT on the primary hard
disk..
(2GB) and this is the second hard disk..

Thanks in advance,
Karthik

        Save the Royal Bengal Tiger.... ELSE
                dictionaries would be the best place to find them....

                        SAY 'NO' TO TIGER BASED  PRODUCTS.......

Partition Again -pl. help!

Post by David . » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,
        If you make the 2 partitions and then delete the one you want to use
for linux to free the disk space for the install. Then during the
install when you setup the partitions you can setup any partitions you
want.

ie...   I have a dual boot system though I very rarely use M$ any more.
        I have the list of partitions shown below.

        /windows        # 2 GB
        /               #root
        /home/ftp/pub
        /usr
        /home
        /usr/src
        /usr/local
        /tmp
        /var
        and of course swap

This setup is on a 9.1 GB drive.

David
--
Due to the extreme spam abuse! Remove all z's and x's from above to
reach me.

Partition Again -pl. help!

Post by Stanislaw Flatt » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi,

> 2. I propose to partition as follows:
> /
> /home
> /boot
> /usr
> /tmp
> swap

> Thanks in advance,
> Karthik

> --

Hallo there.
Do yourself a favor. Prepare space on hard disk for Linux. In this space
create the *absolute* minimum of partitions swap~60-100M and the rest
for root /.
The multiple partitions for various directories on systems are of
importance for system administrators who have to care about many users
from many departments and utilising every imaginable computer programm.
Are you in this position "Y/N" - chose one.
If yes you should already know.
If no give it some time to adjust.
And remember Linux is here to have fun...
--
**Stanislaw & Slack 7.0 team**
Registered Linux User No 162760

1. Dual booting system; Windows2000 keep formatting linux partition to NTFS again and again

I'm using Red Hat 6 and windows 2000 professional.
GRUB is doing my dual booting.

It works fine right after when I set those up BUT during the last month
Windows was formatting Linux partition to NTFS 3 times.
I found that from windows and I see new volume has been added.
Then, of course, it's not bootable, since GRUB is no longer there.
I had  to reinstall Linux.

Does any one had similar problem?
-Kevin

2. booting the live filesystem from FAT partitions

3. AOL on Linux?

4. stability of pl 11 vs pl 9 ?

5. HELP!! TRAP 0000 *** PAGE FAULT *** At linear address 00000

6. Two perl scripts, MakeBootDisk.pl and Rescue.pl I would like to develop

7. Shrink||convert Win2k/NTFS -> Fat32 for Linux Dual Boot

8. perl installed, cgi-lib.pl missing, How do i get cgi-lib.pl?

9. Ext3 partition destroyed. Please help finding it again

10. Building Glibc 2.1.2 again, again and again

11. Splitting c.o.l Again, and Again, and AGAIN!!!

12. Again, again, and again