SAMBA: Print works only w/ retry

Post by MOK » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello
        I have installed SAMBA on a print server.  I have sucessfully
set up the printer to print.  I am using WFW on the client end.  I
have the driver set to the right printer in WFW.  When I go to
print it says error with LPT2 (I have already connected to the printer
share at this point).  Then either if I CANCEL or RETRY it works!

This happens every time.  When I check the spool directory it shows
the spool file existing with 0(zero) bytes (when the error message
appears).  After I click RETRY or CANCEL the file spools normally and
prints.

Is this a problem on the WFW side or SAMBA side?  I have the users
logging in to a different server that is acting as the domain master
browser, but the print share is on a different server, is public and guest
access is allowed.  I have checked the permissions on the spool
directories and executables, and they all seem OK.

Does this seem like a problem on the WFW side?  I.e. is WFW trying to
log in with a password on a free share and barfing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt

--

"And you run, and you run to catch up with the Sun, but its
 sinking.  Racing around to come up behind you again." -PF

SAMBA: Print works only w/ retry

Post by Scott W. Petersen - N9S » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Does it only happen once and then its ok for the rest of the day or
until you reboot?

Do you start samba in inetd.conf?  It takes a bit longer to start it
the first time after that it is there always?

The other option is starting is smbd -D and nmbd -D

>Hello
>    I have installed SAMBA on a print server.  I have sucessfully
>set up the printer to print.  I am using WFW on the client end.  I
>have the driver set to the right printer in WFW.  When I go to
>print it says error with LPT2 (I have already connected to the printer
>share at this point).  Then either if I CANCEL or RETRY it works!

>This happens every time.  When I check the spool directory it shows
>the spool file existing with 0(zero) bytes (when the error message
>appears).  After I click RETRY or CANCEL the file spools normally and
>prints.

>Is this a problem on the WFW side or SAMBA side?  I have the users
>logging in to a different server that is acting as the domain master
>browser, but the print share is on a different server, is public and guest
>access is allowed.  I have checked the permissions on the spool
>directories and executables, and they all seem OK.

>Does this seem like a problem on the WFW side?  I.e. is WFW trying to
>log in with a password on a free share and barfing?

>Any help would be greatly appreciated!

>Thanks,
>Matt

>--

>"And you run, and you run to catch up with the Sun, but its
> sinking.  Racing around to come up behind you again." -PF

-------------------------------
Scott W. Petersen - N9SLA
Web Page:  www.wwa.com/~scooter
Elgin, IL - USA
Packet E-mail:

-------------------------------
Please remove *N*o*S*p*a*m* from my e-mail if you wish to reply.

Post by Edward Scherna » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> >Hello
> >       I have installed SAMBA on a print server.  I have sucessfully
> >set up the printer to print.  I am using WFW on the client end.  I
> >have the driver set to the right printer in WFW.  When I go to
> >print it says error with LPT2 (I have already connected to the printer
> >share at this point).  Then either if I CANCEL or RETRY it works!

Are you running any other protocols on the WfWG boxes (like the
ubiquitous
NetBEUI) ?  If so, AFAIK you need to make sure TCP/IP is set as the
default
protocol.  Note that you most likely DONT need NetBEUI.  If someone told
you
that you did, they secretly meant NetBIOS, which runs quite nicely on
top
of MS-TCP/IP without you doing anything.

Ed

1. qfull-retries/qfull-retry-interval in Sol 2.5.1 and Sol 2.6

I'm a bit confused about these capabilities in Solaris's HBA drivers.
From inspecting the include files in sys/scsi/adapters (and the man
page for scsi_if[sg]etcap), it would appear that these are functional
in Solaris 2.5.1.  However, they're only fully documented in the man
pages for the isp, fas and glm HBA drivers in Solaris 2.6.  The man page
for esp doesn't mention them under either version of Solaris.

Can someone at Sun clarify for me whether these capabilities can be set
in the appropriate conf file in /kernel/drv under Solaris 2.5.1?
Can they be set for the esp HBA?

Are there differences in qfull handling for most HBA drivers between Sol 2.5.1
and Sol 2.6?

Any clues will be most appreciated!

--
Steve Dyer

2. Games, leisure, winamp and magazines

3. Network printing does not work using Samba

4. Promise VLB Cache Controller

5. Q: Why this samba printing doesn't work

6. Structures in structures

7. Samba Printing doesn't work

8. PUrchasing Linux?

9. Why is samba is awkward to get print share working?

10. Samba printing doesn't work

11. printing doesn't work, but it does using Samba

12. SMTP Retry-Intervals dont work